Coralline bleaching in one of my tanks

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, the coralline in one of my tanks has been bleaching in spots. Everyday I see more appear. I recently switched salt from Instant Ocean to Fritzs RPM blue box, I also dose calcium. This is a fish only tank, no coral in it yet. I have the same exact water levels and everything else in my other tanks and haven’t seen this happen. I’m really disappointed and don’t want it to bleach out as I am planning on adding a few non reef safe fish and liked the purple look to compensate for lack of corals.

These circled spots were dark purple and plate. It’s been bleaching fast, in a matter of 1-2 weeks. And spreading everyday.

Light is “AquaIllumination Blade Grow

Thanks for any advice.

CB86C857-2D8A-4419-8FB7-AB78B13A832B.jpeg

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was all dark purple like covered in plated dark bright Corraline only days ago. I’m very disappointed as this was the prettiest live rock I’ve had in any tanks. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I’ve even avoided urchins and such to keep it nice

Attachments

• 66DF6A1A-69CA-4F91-AC80-89B724071F6B.png
    66DF6A1A-69CA-4F91-AC80-89B724071F6B.png
    591 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing for cal, alk and mag?
Yes I am, everything looks good and identical to the conditions in my other tanks where the coralline is thriving. Is there any hitchhikers or something that could be eating it? I introduced a small new piece of live rock to the front and everything seems to have gone downhill from there.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am, everything looks good and identical to the conditions in my other tanks where the coralline is thriving. Is there any hitchhikers or something that could be eating it? I introduced a small new piece of live rock to the front and everything seems to have gone downhill from there.
This is going to sound like the dumbest thing ever but....every tank is different with a different biome no matter what you do.
Even if each tank tests the exact same they're not.
I have two tanks running on one sump with the same water and each one is different.
I have massive coralline in one and hardly any in the other.
What are your numbers and what is the flow and lighting schedule in each?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to sound like the dumbest thing ever but....every tank is different with a different biome no matter what you do.
Even if each tank tests the exact same they're not.
I have two tanks running on one sump with the same water and each one is different.
I have massive coralline in one and hardly any in the other.
What are your numbers and what is the flow and lighting schedule in each?
It is the dumbest thing ever, and yet it seems to be the way things are.

Related Topic: A good friend at a LFS told me this axiom of reefing: "Your favorite fish or coral will always look perfect and beautiful the day before it dies." I have learned that there is a lot of truth in this axiom of reefing.

OP- Sorry about your Coralline. I have a few different kinds growing in my reef and it seems that they ebb and flow with health and replacement of kinds growing around the tank. When I find myself really happy with my tank I remember the axiom and if my favorite fish, coral, or occupant doesn't die the next day I say a prayer of thanks and try to just enjoy whatever is looking good and hanging in there while I'm looking. HTH. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails, emerald crabs, and urchins are the main things I've seen that eat coralline algae and most of the time it looks white in the spots they scraped it. It usually grows back. Is the pH of your tank the same after the salt switch by the way? Instant Ocean salts are usually pre-pH adjusted to be in the 7.8-8.2 range but I know some salts mix up closer to 7 and expect you'll raise it up to around 8 with calcium hydroxide.

Also as long as everything else is fine and the pH isn't far off target I wouldn't worry about it, though, personally. By the way if you want to add some colorful, sessile life to the tank without adding coral, some pretty macro algae is always an option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back