Coralline?

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time it was cyano... A few days ago I noticed a little bit of pink on my rock (dead coral) and today, it's more visible and bigger, from the human eye it's more pink but on the camera it's hard to see
20240311_123904.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must stare at your tank a lot. It could be coralline or it could be discolouration. Isn’t the rock in bottom right infront of it covered in coralline? I know it’s necessary but I hate coralline like it’s my part time job.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must stare at your tank a lot. It could be coralline or it could be discolouration. Isn’t the rock in bottom right infront of it covered in coralline? I know it’s necessary but I hate coralline like it’s my part time job.
I look everyday, it's kind of transparent and yes the rock on the right is covered in coralline, I love coralline

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your question? Coraline? To early to tell IMO.
I've never been so impatient in my life with just some random pink dots, I put a booster, it works on rocks, but it will take more time on the plastic and else I think. I mean 2 months... You're right

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing we all learn in this community is stuff happens slowly and we as reefers need to act slowly and with small baby steps otherwise it all goes to hell QUICKLY! Then you get frustrated and try chasing numbers and solutions and BOOM…tank crashed.

Sit back and watch the algae grow…slowly

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline appears on plastic parts long before rocks typically. Generally after at least 5 months in new tanks.
It's Soo beautiful especially on pumps, so basically my pump or other plastic will look like that after 5-12 months?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Soo beautiful especially on pumps, so basically my pump or other plastic will look like that after 5-12 months?
If you do your part and maintain your tank properly the coralline will come for sure. Typically on plastic parts first then your rocks or glass. Get some snails with coralline on their shells and scrape off into your water column. Usually around 5 months is when you first really notice it in your tank. GHA usually dies off as coralline takes over.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do your part and maintain your tank properly the coralline will come for sure. Typically on plastic parts first then your rocks or glass. Get some snails with coralline on their shells and scrape off into your water column. Usually around 5 months is when you first really notice it in your tank. GHA usually dies off as coralline takes over.
When I put new rocks, half of the coralline dies, on my snails she'll it all died, now it's dark red dots (not cyano I checked) but on rocks it regrowed, is this normal?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I put new rocks, half of the coralline dies, on my snails she'll it all died, now it's dark red dots (not cyano I checked) but on rocks it regrowed, is this normal?
A variety of factors can cause that. If coralline is exposed to dry air it will turn pink and die. Also depends on the age of your tank and how stable your parameters are. It's not something to dwell on or worry about. If you do your part it will develop naturally in your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back