Lots of algae and fish disappear help!

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have been getting cyano or dinos on the sand and lots of algae and like hair algae with bubbles in it which I think it is cyano. Parameters are listed and I struggle with low nitrates on both of my tanks and I feed 2 times a day heavy (pellets and reef frenzy). I got a yellow corris wrasse say week or two ago, and it was out eating for the first 4 days and then buried in the sand and hasn't come out since. I spooked him out like 4 days ago and he shot under the rocks sand and I can dig apart my rockscape but don't want to. Wondering if he is the reason for the algae in the since that he is dead and I got some ammonia in the tank which is making me question. Any ideas the tank is wet on 11/14/23 so fairly new too.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 220420.png

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well key parameters are not listed but if you have bottomed out nutrients you are destined for serious algae problems such as dinos.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well key parameters are not listed but if you have bottomed out nutrients you are destined for serious algae problems such as dinos.
Also, how does one get nitrates? this is like impossible for me. I have a clown, damsel, mandarin goby, and maybe yellow wrasse in 20L and a HOB with floss in it and a bag of chemi pure. Water changes every 2 weeks 5 gallons. Not sure what else to do. was dry rock so maybe its still establishing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, I have been getting cyano or dinos on the sand and lots of algae and like hair algae with bubbles in it which I think it is cyano. Parameters are listed and I struggle with low nitrates on both of my tanks and I feed 2 times a day heavy (pellets and reef frenzy). I got a yellow corris wrasse say week or two ago, and it was out eating for the first 4 days and then buried in the sand and hasn't come out since. I spooked him out like 4 days ago and he shot under the rocks sand and I can dig apart my rockscape but don't want to. Wondering if he is the reason for the algae in the since that he is dead and I got some ammonia in the tank which is making me question. Any ideas the tank is wet on 11/14/23 so fairly new too.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 220420.png
please post pics of the tank under white light intensity. The nitrate, if true does not make sense with cyano if cyano but the phos level does. Feeding heavy would promote algae and cyano.
How are you testing?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how does one get nitrates? this is like impossible for me. I have a clown, damsel, mandarin goby, and maybe yellow wrasse in 20L and a HOB with floss in it and a bag of chemi pure. Water changes every 2 weeks 5 gallons. Not sure what else to do. was dry rock so maybe its still establishing?
You can try feeding more frozen food. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months before I got measurable numbers when my tank was young.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please post pics of the tank under white light intensity. The nitrate, if true does not make sense with cyano if cyano but the phos level does. Feeding heavy would promote algae and cyano.
How are you testing?
API for nitrate as I havent got salfert or red sea yet. WHICH could be a problem thinking of it. and salfert for all others.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now looking at night it seems that pinkish red algae in the sand goes away at night but is there during the day, which could be dinos? Also, most corals are doing okay in the tank it's just the nems that are upset cuz the algae is messing with their feet so they are constantly walking around which is frustrating.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try feeding more frozen food. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months before I got measurable numbers when my tank was young.
Do you have to dose both together? I show signs of phosphates just not nitrates. Could I get just neo nitro and dose just that?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I too see what may be cyano as well as clumps of green hair algae. These are indicators of elevated phosphate. Pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide. Also reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
Is tank at or near a window?
For cyano, it typically starts when concentrations of phos, nitrate and other organic compounds are elevated. It also generates when there are areas with minimal flow, detritus build up which becomes a stable bed for cyano. Water changes are important which reduces the organic nutrients which feed cyano. Additionally, add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check. These will also assist with reduction green hair algae

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, one or both is fine
This is probably a question for Randy Holmes but I wonder if there is a idiot prof diy recipe for Neo nitrate cuz it seems very expensive as I got a 500ML bottle and already almost out after dosing for 2-3 weeks at 27ML a day to raise a 65g system up 2ppm a day and still struggling to get a reading

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a question for Randy Holmes but I wonder if there is a idiot prof diy recipe for Neo nitrate cuz it seems very expensive as I got a 500ML bottle and already almost out after dosing for 2-3 weeks at 27ML a day to raise a 65g system up 2ppm a day and still struggling to get a reading
Yes he has posted DIY one before

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back