OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried. I caught the melanarus but the hortulanus turned out to be an absolute nightmare when it left the sand. Killed a firefish and a hawkfish in few days so I had to get rid of it. But a yellow wrasse is a much much better wrasse than a hortulanus.

Same thing with angelfish, tangs, etc. An acclimation box and patience and almost all fish will get a long.
I added a coral beauty at the same time as the yellow wrasse and they are all getting along not a single fight throughout the tank. Now they two wrasses are a different story, but maybe it had to due with the yellow wrasse being so small.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got a Purple Tang coming in at the start of this week, already have a QT setup for it and it's a 2.5-3.5 tang so it'll have some size on it. Still thinking about buying one of those boxes just because it was such an expensive fish and by the time QT is over the tank and the fish will be so settled, and I have a fear that the tang will break the peace and could get bullied. But there is no other tang in the tank atm.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and to catch a wrasse a trap usually works best. They are very curious fish so will go in one readily.
They are quite slippery fish and even scooping a sleeping one in the sand is difficult. That’s why I either use a trap or just leave the net in and wait for them to get used to the net.
I have seen people snag fish out of their tanks with those, only problem is the yellow wrasse doesn't come out as is. Think I'm going to have to hope and pray for the best and take it as a lesson for next time.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see it out, you can spook it back into the sand. You'll see where it goes in, that way. Get a tupper with lid, start scopping the sand with the tupper where it is hiding and have the lid already on top of the exposed part of the tupper and slide it down once the wrasse is inside the tupper space. Might take a few tries.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing wrasse is a hard one. Mixing of the same family is very hard. If Mixing wrasse its best if you mix different type.
Halichoeres and halichoeres is not a good way to go.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing wrasse is a hard one. Mixing of the same family is very hard. If Mixing wrasse its best if you mix different type.
Halichoeres and halichoeres is not a good way to go.
This is something I am going to do my research on because these will not be the last of my wrasse, due to them looking so unique but also being so crucial to the ecosystem. For some reason I didn't think much about mixing them even tho they are one of the last additions for a reason... I have to look into the types and the do's and don'ts so I don't have to ask someone next time and just hope for the best.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your guy's opinion if you got one with adding a medium Purple tang to the tank with the wrasse being in the tank for over a month and being the biggest fish in the tank atm. Should I be very careful? medium careful? Acclimation box? or not because they are not the same type of fish and different diets? Whats yall's opinions?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your guy's opinion if you got one with adding a medium Purple tang to the tank with the wrasse being in the tank for over a month and being the biggest fish in the tank atm. Should I be very careful? medium careful? Acclimation box? or not because they are not the same type of fish and different diets? Whats yall's opinions?
The purple will be the boss the second you add it. No worries of anything bullying him.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so always...Have a yellow coris and melanarus wrasse in my tank and they do not fight and live together in harmony. Added the yellow 1st I think and Melanarus later..both as small fish but now both are relatively same size (about 3-4" long) size of my middle finger...no problems. SO yeah can be done.

If you can't find the yellow he's likely in the sand hiding as others have said. I had one go in there so long before I thought he was gone until I was cleaning the tank weeks later when found em in the sand. Once I found when i was draining a tank after an outreak of velvet...little suck was still alive down there in the sand! LOL

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back