Yellow Corris Wrasse Disappeared

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a 1.5in Yellow Corris Wrasse, and added it straight to my tank with a pair of clowns, melanarus wrasse (3.5-4in), a Yellow watchmen goby, and a new coral beauty. He got chased immediately by the melanarus wrasse and I didn't see him for a week straight. Last night He was up in between my nem basket and the glass and popped his head out for two seconds and the melanarus went after him and disappeared again. Should I be worried that the Yellow Corris won't be able to live in the tank, or should it settle down over time? I havent visibly seen it eat since I got it is why I'm slightly spooked but I feed HEAVY multiple times a day, so I assume if he peaks out he can get something.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is obvious bullying so you need to either pick one Halichoeres wrasse and return the other or get an acclimation box (with a tub of sand in it). The yellow can potentially survive for a good month in the sand without food but the sooner you solve the problem the better.

Also there is no such thing as a yellow “coris” wrasse.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should have never sold you those two fish together. Pick witch one you like better if it's not to late.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should have never sold you those two fish together. Pick witch one you like better if it's not to late.
You can easily keep them together if you introduce the second one carefully. I keep three Halichoeres in a 110 with no issues, H iridis, H marginatus, and H timorensis. However I’d never add another without an acclimation box.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of finding it, I have a lot of rock, and a deep sand bed due to goby and watchmen. So if I see it come out again I should try to catch it?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily keep them together if you introduce the second one carefully. I keep three Halichoeres in a 110 with no issues, H iridis, H marginatus, and H timorensis. However I’d never add another without an acclimation box.
If it's already in the tank, is there any hope of catching it and trying to put it in an acclimation box?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's already in the tank, is there any hope of catching it and trying to put it in an acclimation box?
Yes. You just need to give them a week or so to get used to each others presence. Not a guarantee but most of the time once they get used to each other they’ll never fight again.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me. My melanarus attacked a hortulanus when I was new to wrasse. Shop told me it would work but the melanarus wanted to kill it. Now the melanarus lives with 5 other wrasse happily because I use an acclimation box and have learned what to look out for when introducing a new wrasse.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me. My melanarus attacked a hortulanus when I was new to wrasse. Shop told me it would work but the melanarus wanted to kill it. Now the melanarus lives with 5 other wrasse happily because I use an acclimation box and have learned what to look out for when introducing a new wrasse.
Once you made the mistake the first time did you lose the wrasse or did they end up getting along or how did that work?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you made the mistake the first time did you lose the wrasse or did they end up getting along or how did that work?
I tried. I caught the melanarus but the hortulanus turned out to be an absolute nightmare when it left the sand. Killed a firefish and a hawkfish in few days so I had to get rid of it. But a yellow wrasse is a much much better wrasse than a hortulanus.

Same thing with angelfish, tangs, etc. An acclimation box and patience and almost all fish will get a long.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and to catch a wrasse a trap usually works best. They are very curious fish so will go in one readily.
They are quite slippery fish and even scooping a sleeping one in the sand is difficult. That’s why I either use a trap or just leave the net in and wait for them to get used to the net.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back