corals bleached 2 days after dosing

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi water parameters have been constant for months alk 9.5 ca 430 nitrates 5ppm magnesium 1460 , the phosphates were slowly creeping down, tried feeding more , leaving socks in longer , reducing fuge intensity and the time they were on. My corals sps mainly were losing their brightness , elected to dose trisodium phosphate, mixed 1/4 of teaspoon in 200ml of water and tipped 50ml into my 200gall tank. waited an hr checked with the hanna ulr phoshate checker po4 had risen from.01 to .25. I than set up a drip feed to dose 3ml of rx phosphate remover, the rx was diluted with 500ml of ro water and dripped through a 10micron sock it took approx 3hrs to dose checked po4 and I was back down to .06 for my po4 , 2 days later ive lost 2 corals so far that have bleached out. What caused this? what did I do wrong? a week ago I added 10ml of vibrant to try and help with the removal of some diatoms could this have done anything? I have dosed the rx before with no ill effects on the corals. Would the rise in po4 for a period of 5hrs cause this? thanks john

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you dosed phosphate and went from .01 to .25 in 1 hour, then took it back down to .06 over the next 3 hrs?

Could be the massive phosphate swings, could be the Vibrant.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back