Corals feed best during bright nights?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I've been noticing in my reef tank and want to know if anyone else has noticed a similar phenomenon. I have red sea reefLEDs running and have the lunar cycle system enabled so during a certain time of the month the tank has brighter nights than others, since it is currently a coral-only setup I feed at night for nutrient import, though the last few nights there hasn't been a feeding response, the coral is fully extended so it's not health related. I have been recently feeding multiple times per day (I've been running a refugium for nutrient export) though i doubt this is a cause. The only thing different is this is the last few days of the lunar cycle so, do coral feed better on brighter nights? Are there any studies/observations on this? Thanks.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regular house light right above my tank that has a switch that turns the light on in the laundry room too.
My wife will forget and leave the light on some nights.
The starfish and the coral spawn on those nights almost exclusively.
It is a 8 watt house led 2 feet above the open top tank but a more expensive GE with a wider spectrum of light. It looks orange to the eye but has a lot of blue in it.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regular house light right above my tank that has a switch that turns the light on in the laundry room too.
My wife will forget and leave the light on some nights.
The starfish and the coral spawn on those nights almost exclusively.
It is a 8 watt house led 2 feet above the open top tank but a more expensive GE with a wider spectrum of light. It looks orange to the eye but has a lot of blue in it.
How often does that happen? Looking for a healthy way to get a feeding response from my platygyra on most nights

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the light thing happens a lot
I will pay more attention to their responses, it's just kind of been a thing I have noticed but not paid attention to, if that makes sense.
Lol sorry, should have been more specific, does it happen once every week, twice a week?

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I'm not sure if it worked as I removed two factors, ill try this again tommorow but I did get a strong feeding response from keeping the dining room light on an hour or two after the tank lights turned off, decided to spotfeed the platygyra some small krill, and wile doing so I noticed that this colony somehow caught a bristleworm
20231010_213305.jpg

When did platygyra become hunters lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back