Corals from Tank that had fish disease..Velvet/Ich/Flukes

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a family member whose tank has a fish disease issue. He is shutting down the problem tank and restarting with a different tank. He has moved all the corals to holding tanks with fresh saltwater, etc. Fish are in separate Qtanks. I have been waiting for him to give me Coral Frags and now the fish issue has created problems. What I am wondering is can I take any of the soft corals that are attached to small rocks, or new soft coral cuttings out of the holding tank to put in mine without any of the above potential fish diseases along with it? He left all the possible live rock that he could in the problem tank and is going to bleach it and restart with new Dry Rock. So the coral holding tanks have minimal rock (small rocks that corals are attached to). What I am wondering is could the corals themselves carry any of the fish diseases? Or the rock that they are attached to. I don't want to bring any problems into my newly established tank. Obviously the easy answer is to not take any of his corals at this time, but thought I would ask for advice.

any advice is appreciated.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might wanna act with an abundance of caution here. Dip would be the minimal, fish less isolation is the way I’d go however. Waiting until for whatever the lifecycle of the disease is over..
Genuine wishing good luck

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back