Corals!?!?! how sooNNNNN?!??!?!

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like many i have basically zero patience! What conditions am I supposed to be looking for before we add our first Coral Frags. We are probably going to go with some zoa and lps for starters.

I added a bottle of Coraline algae spores about 2 weeks ago and have yet to see it pop yet. I had some brown algae and that is gone almost entirely. (TY lenny the Blenny & Pooty Tang)

Parameters as of last evening were 0 ammonia, 8.2 Ph, 0 Nitrite, 5ppm Nitrate, between 1300-1500 magnesium (test is hokie at best) 8.1 Alkalinity, 420ppm Calcium, And the Salinity is between 35-36.5 I dont fully trust this meter yet i get about a 1 difference from test to test in the same 5 minutes. Using a Hanna tester. I have calibrated it several times. The refractometer i cant seem to focus to my eye so i feel that is a waste of time. my ATO is a Kalkwasser solution.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like many i have basically zero patience! What conditions am I supposed to be looking for before we add our first Coral Frags. We are probably going to go with some zoa and lps for starters.

I added a bottle of Coraline algae spores about 2 weeks ago and have yet to see it pop yet. I had some brown algae and that is gone almost entirely. (TY lenny the Blenny & Pooty Tang)

Parameters as of last evening were 0 ammonia, 8.2 Ph, 0 Nitrite, 5ppm Nitrate, between 1300-1500 magnesium (test is hokie at best) 8.1 Alkalinity, 420ppm Calcium, And the Salinity is between 35-36.5 I dont fully trust this meter yet i get about a 1 difference from test to test in the same 5 minutes. Using a Hanna tester. I have calibrated it several times. The refractometer i cant seem to focus to my eye so i feel that is a waste of time. my ATO is a Kalkwasser solution.
Go for it, I waited like a week and added a birdsnest frag that I have from my display, so far it's still alive in a new tank.... Shall see if it dies or not in the next few days. I think your parameters are on point tho for corals as long as po4 is low you can try the zoa's first.

Upvote 0

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good to go...I would star with mushrooms, toadstools, kenya tree mainly softies just to be on the safe side once they start doing good then I would add some LPS...thats just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On refractor meters I use this guy, nothing fancy.

Sometimes it's easier to get it to 1.026 (looking at the left markers) than the right.

Another tip is use a flash light or your phone light and shine it directly on the end. Brighter light makes it a LOT easier to read.

Also once you get the hang of mixing your salt, it's a lot easier since it should be the same amount everytime.

I do 2.5 Cups of Coral Pro Red Sea to 5G water, and then will add table spoons or two sometimes but normally the 2.5 hits the nail on the head.

I've been guilty a time or two of not even checking :x don't do this, do as I say not as I do LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it, I waited like a week and added a birdsnest frag that I have from my display, so far it's still alive in a new tank.... Shall see if it dies or not in the next few days. I think your parameters are on point tho for corals as long as po4 is low you can try the zoa's first.
I have a phosphate test ill run when i get home. if thats good im going shopping!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up to the part about salinity. I grabbed another Refractometer different brand then last time. This one came with calibration solution ect. so do that and my water reads 41!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o.o the hanna checker says 36.4... Im running in circles with this for some reason.

I feel like the refractometer should be more accurate since its not electric its light and science

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,clean and recalibrate refractor one more time,recheck ,trust the refractor ..jmo

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna salinity meter needs to be calibrated frequently and drifts by up to 2 ppt every week. I'm certainly more reliant on my glass Tropic Marin hydrometer and refractometers these days (and the refractometers are also checked frequently).

Coral: get someone to give you a Kenya Tree branchlet. They really do grow like weeds, and are great barometers for both water quality and lighting issues. They'll certainly let you know if something's wrong!

Upvote 0

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't know geek & sundry GIF by Alpha

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back