Corals looking bad and not growing

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, higher alk, needs to have some nutrients. My tank runs Zeovit, which I run alk around 7 to 7.3, nitrate 0-1 and p04 - 0.01. On top of that, I feed VERY heavily each day, I just have a strong filtration to compensate for that.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lobo branching hammer and frogspawn and a scolie and rbtas. So its not barely above ambient. Most people underestimate how much light 3W leds actually put out.

I am embarrassed because it took me so long to figure this out, now many report 10% to 20% with B out of our lights and and the 1% white gives my tank a look like when I ran MH 175SE 20K bulbs for over 25 years before switching to leds. All I can say is my frogspawn which at one time was about 500 heads is now down to 10 or so. I sold most and lost 30 in my display due to this lighting fiasco, I started with 3 heads close to 30 years ago. Branching hammer in Sacramento probably came from my tank which I started with 7 heads and at one time had about 2000. Down to a few hundred right now at best. Last 5 years have been a waste.

So now with lowering my lights growth is flying again and everything is back on track.
So when you saw all that growth you were running halides? Would they not have been at a much higher intensity?
do you believe it to be intensity or spectrum?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210829_202021.jpg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 5 years after that pic I filled that tank completely and started selling branching hammer and giving away rbtas

That lobo is 40 years old, ive had it for 30, almost killed it, now I have 4 to 5 babies from it. Almost quit when that went south.

Started with 5 heads branching hammer, and 3 heads of frogspawn and 1 rbta. The scolie I bought sick and still have him over 20 years old, after nursing him back to health.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back