Corals not looking good

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers I have a 60x30x24 220 gallon tank I have some soft corals and some lps corals are not looking so happy toadstools staying closed been closed up for over a month hammer corals not as fluffy I’ll post pics of my levels and flow and light schedule I have 2 Nero 7 random mode 60 percen and 2 Red Sea 45 at 50 percen random mode

IMG_1216.png IMG_1214.png IMG_1213.png IMG_1215.png

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... I'm no professional, but I doubt light is your problem, and guarentee they will need alot more info/pics than what has been provided

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have 10 hours of lighting. That’s ur problem. If your corals were not happy, they would’ve already stripped their skin off due to the flow. You’re lights are not allowing them to photosynthesize long enough. My magic number of hours is 10!
7:40am - 5:40pm
Try this out with lighting schedule.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and about the toadstool. If it’s staying closed still even with 10 hour schedule lighting, your PAR needs to be increased. MEANING ( you may need to acclimate a higher lighting of blues.

Mine had the same problem. Stayed closed. (Lost my mind for 4 months thinking on what is was) toadstools don’t have a care in the world to huge amounts of flow ( in fact they love it so much my LFS store has this in front of a 3400 power head) . So that isn’t ur problem.

•So your lighting PAR* needs to increase. Slowly.
•longer light schedule (10hr) from the beginning of ramping up to down to pitch black.

Let me know if that helps!

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and about the toadstool. If it’s staying closed still even with 10 hour schedule lighting, your PAR needs to be increased. MEANING ( you may need to acclimate a higher lighting of blues.

Mine had the same problem. Stayed closed. (Lost my mind for 4 months thinking on what is was) toadstools don’t have a care in the world to huge amounts of flow ( in fact they love it so much my LFS store has this in front of a 3400 power head) . So that isn’t ur problem.

•So your lighting PAR* needs to increase. Slowly.
•longer light schedule (10hr) from the beginning of ramping up to down to pitch black.

Let me know if that helps!
Do you have a light schedule?

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Red Sea 90 LED on one of my heavy surface SPS load and mix corals at the bottom of the tank. This is a one of my 5 tanks being the smallest is this Red Sea max Nano

It came with a 50W LED… sort story, wasn’t strong enough.

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Red Sea 90 LED on one of my heavy surface SPS load and mix corals at the bottom of the tank. This is a one of my 5 tanks being the smallest is this Red Sea max Nano

It came with a 50W LED… sort story, wasn’t strong enough.
I’m running 1 led90 and 2 hydra 26

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my other tanks it runs at very much the same percentage with the fact that I want the LED light sitting exactly about 7 1/2” from the surface of the water.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 1 led90 and 2 hydra 26
See there… that idk, if it could maybe having 1 out of the 2 other lights may be giving small differences causing hurtful UV rays to the other surrounding corals…

Well not hurtful. But definitely something to not mix even if there was a slight difference. I’m no professional at matching different led light with other brands.
I just stick to one brand even if I had to spend $2k worth of led just to stick to one brand.

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See there… that idk, if it could maybe having 1 out of the 2 other lights may be giving small differences causing hurtful UV rays to the other surrounding corals…

Well not hurtful. But definitely something to not mix even if there was a slight difference. I’m no professional at matching different led light with other brands.
I just stick to one brand even if I had to spend $2k worth of led just to stick to one brand.
I’m switching the hydra to led 90 to have 3 total

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please make sure you acclimate it for 15 days slowly LED light will definitely do the job in bleaching your corals.

Acclimating setting should look like this.
IMG_1335.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back