CORALS NOT LOOKING GOOD

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been longer than two days as far as water changes every two weeks figured it was my lights at first after i changed them and ramped them up so i changed them again because i noticed the corals werent doing good and noticed the algae figured it was the lights so did a water change and then thats when i started to be concerned
How old is the tank?

Do you test the water regularly?

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem still at hand is the salt mix would adding a refugium help with the dinos in the near future?

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know about toxins in the salt is that possible but the mag is over 1500

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know about toxins in the salt is that possible but the mag is over 1500
How much over 1500? (Not that is is an issue either way just curious. Do you mix the dry salt before doing the mix? Do you have a test kit to test mg? If so what kit? If not go get one.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I stir it up as far as test kit salifert I use the whole syringe and still don’t get the blue color my lfs store tested for me and it’s closer to 1600

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting did u use I was looking at the ai prine fuge being it’s controllable
I mean the Prime fuge is freakin sweet if you got the money to blow. It is nice that it's controllable buuuut for a refugium it's really not necessary. It's more for a Macro tank or large sump/fuge. If you're just going to run a hang on back fuge I have the Chaeto Max by Innovative Marine. It's awesome! Normally $100 but I found them on ebay Innovative Marine has a refurb store for $55. Great deal and I love mine.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We tested a 5 gallon bucket and mixed it up to 1.026
Mag was way off closer to 1600 like my lfs said

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with the assertion that lanthanum binds and removes only phosphate. The soluble lanthanum will precipitate carbonate and the precipitated materials will bind metals and organics just like GFO.

Brightwell is not a good source of chemical info.

Synthesis of Mesoporous Lanthanum Phosphate and Its Use as a Novel Sorbent
" Sorption behavior of heavy metal ions such as Cr(III), Mn(II), Fe(III), Co(II), Ni(II), Cu(II), Zn(II), Cd(II), Ba(II), Hg(II) and Pb(II) studied in different aqueous systems shows that the prepared mesoporous lanthanum phosphate is an effective adsorbent which may be used for their removal from aqueous systems and also in presence of different complexing agents. "
I'm not going to argue with you Doctor Randy, you know far more than I do when it comes to chemistry. All I do know is when my Phosphates are 0.15 I dose Phosphat-E according to the bottle @ 0.5 ml and it's back down to 0.05 when I test several hours later.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been longer than two days as far as water changes every two weeks figured it was my lights at first after i changed them and ramped them up so i changed them again because i noticed the corals werent doing good and noticed the algae figured it was the lights so did a water change and then thats when i started to be concerned
I'm tellin you try turning down the white, red & green percentages. Raise the Blues & UV and rub your lights for 10 hours.
And do an ICP test so you dont have to keep guessing what's wrong. You can test your RODI water too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step up the water change to once a week. Problem will be gone in 3 weeks.

Said with a lot of confidence when it isn’t clear what the problem is.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to argue with you Doctor Randy, you know far more than I do when it comes to chemistry. All I do know is when my Phosphates are 0.15 I dose Phosphat-E according to the bottle @ 0.5 ml and it's back down to 0.05 when I test several hours later.

I don’t dispute that.

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I stir it up as far as test kit salifert I use the whole syringe and still don’t get the blue color my lfs store tested for me and it’s closer to 1600
Good, okay. Sorry battery died on my phone. I presume you are using the kit correctly? Make sure the reagent/liquid level in the syringe is at 8.5 and bottom of the black plunger at 0, Its good youve had this verified at your lfs too. If the mg is that high then for sure get yourself some new salt as its obviously a ill prepared batch. Once you have new salt continue with the one week water changes, this needs to be done alongside good basic husbandry, siphoning ,cleaning walls etc, you mentioned a fuge forget that and buy a uv steriliser the green killing machine is cost effective and very effective. Good luck. Keep us updated

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size of the green killing machine do I get or do I just get a regular uv?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back