Corals on the substrate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Doug B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice in your videos that you guys have a lot of corals on the substrate as opposed to the rocks. Are they actually sitting in the sand, or have you mounted them to rocks I just can't see?

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Doug!

Nearly every coral you see on the sand is just resting on top. There are a few that near bases of the rock that may be attached under the sand, but everything else is free range. :p

-Randy

OP
OP
Doug B

Doug B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'm new to all of this. They grow out and get bigger like that, or is that your method of controlling their size? Also...no problems with the flow blowing them all over the tank?

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'm new to all of this. They grow out and get bigger like that, or is that your method of controlling their size? Also...no problems with the flow blowing them all over the tank?

I would say that one of the main reasons to put some on the sand bed was because there simply wasn't enough space on the rocks for all the corals! Plus, aesthetically, I think a tank looks much fuller with some corals on the sand. PAR requirements for corals are another reason to consider putting them on the sand. Sometimes you'll see a coral that seems washed out or "bleached", which is many times an indication that they are exposed to too much light. Moving them down onto the sand can give them just the right amount of PAR exposure to perk them up again!

You make a great point about controlling their growth as well! There are many encrusting type of corals that you may want to ensure they do not overtake your rocks. Keeping them isolated on the sand is a good way to stop that. :)

-Randy

OP
OP
Doug B

Doug B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then does that mean that they will not grow out on the sand? They stay about the size they were when you put them there? If so, is that true of all corals, or are there some that will continue to grow even on the sand bed?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back