Corals receding, ORP dropping

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

I have a 135g mixed reef, comprised mostly of smallish frags. Tank has been up and running for about a year. About 3 months ago I discovered Ostreopsis Dino's in my tank, but they have been nearly completely confined to the tank glass. I have taken no real action against them short of cleaning the front glass as usual and reducing water changes to perhaps once a month. Filter socks have helped limit their numbers, I suspect, and I do frequent carbon changes to keep up with any die off.

Also, my tank is in my basement and as summer approaches here, tank pH was dropping sub 7.8, so I have hooked up outside air to skimmer, which seems to have helped somewhat (sits around 8.0 now).

Outside of this, tank was functioning normally. Fast forward to about two weeks ago when I came home one night to notice Coral polyps retracted somewhat. Chalking it up to a bad day, I did nothing and decided to let it go for a few days to see if conditions improve. Unfortunately, they seem to slowly be getting worse, and I have no idea why.

NO3 20-40ppm
Ca - 400-420ppm
Alk - 8-9 (manually dose soda ash)

I'll attach screenshots of my Apex graphs for reference, as well as a few photos of corals. Up until two weeks ago, I was getting good growth out of my corals and coralline, now, it is almost going backwards. Suggestions? Ideas? Could the Dinos be poisoning the water? (Notice ORP dropping considerably). Thanks for the help!
1bf4d3ca98dd2ef523ec8857cf64edc7.jpg
ad6f5b12ebf716ec262a3847e27b7d5a.jpg
e308609b41f853c4943c9195f5ec00fc.jpg
061776bac3a8489250fbee22bfac311b.jpg
ee6fcba4251e06e85e8280c76e44dc8a.jpg
941b18dd90917a32372fa72ae5999f38.jpg

OP
OP
R

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops... Wrong forum. Mods move to tank chemistry or something more appropriate please?

OP
OP
R

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why the ORP is declining, or if it might even be calibration drift.

Do you know what caused the sudden spikes down on June 8?

Is it still trending down?
Yes, still trending down. I have no idea what caused the sudden drop. It's happened again a few times since (see attachment from today).

On a side note, I've tried finding the Ostreopsis, and strangely enough cannot find any. All I get now is brown algae/diatoms on the front glass (enough that I have to take a mag float to it everyday), but definitely just a diatom dusting. I don't have a silicate test, but I'm guessing my DI cartridge on my RO topoff water is near expired.

Could the high nitrates and 0 phosphates be the cause of the corals receding? Suggestions?
40869eacdb7f4294d96f92dacac4d25f.jpg

OP
OP
R

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring phosphate? Zero is bad, but many kits can't really say how low it is.
Hanna ULR.

I've got a big clump of chaeto (volleyball size) in my 100g Rubbermaid sump. Little stumped how nitrates are sky high and phosphates are zero.

Should I dose phosphate and try vinegar dosing? I'm always leery of vinegar dosing because of the cyano potential.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That particular checker has a margin of error. If you try a phosphorus checker I would bet you would see something. Your nitrates might be a little high though.
I have seen a downward trend on my ph and orp when my carbon was becoming exhausted too. As soon as I added new rox carbon it began to rise again..

OP
OP
R

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That particular checker has a margin of error. If you try a phosphorus checker I would bet you would see something. Your nitrates might be a little high though.
I have seen a downward trend on my ph and orp when my carbon was becoming exhausted too. As soon as I added new rox carbon it began to rise again..
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out.

Regardless, something is still way out of whack... Unfortunately trying to pin down just what that is to cause all my frags to start dying off is a bit frustrating... And expensive lol.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back