ORP slowly rising without any particular reasons

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I installed a Milwaukee ORP controller on my reef about a month ago. It took 3 days to settle with a reading of about 250. At that point I dosed Ozone once for an hour . It bumped up to 280 and the next day settled at 260. A week later I did another try of Ozone for an hour. It bumped up to 300 the the next day settled at 265. For the past 2 weeks I not added Ozone or anything and it's slowly been creeping upward. The ORP controller reads 351 this morning. Is this a concern ? I'm wondering if something is causing this which could make it continue upward to a dangerous level for the reef inhabitants I have. Thank you

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I installed a Milwaukee ORP controller on my reef about a month ago. It took 3 days to settle with a reading of about 250. At that point I dosed Ozone once for an hour . It bumped up to 280 and the next day settled at 260. A week later I did another try of Ozone for an hour. It bumped up to 300 the the next day settled at 265. For the past 2 weeks I not added Ozone or anything and it's slowly been creeping upward. The ORP controller reads 351 this morning. Is this a concern ? I'm wondering if something is causing this which could make it continue upward to a dangerous level for the reef inhabitants I have. Thank you
Nope, no concern at all - unless you have reason to from observation? :) Just enjoy not having to do anything about it - and don't think about the number!

As you leave your tank to do it's thing, your filtration takes care of the rest. That's why you see a slight increase in ORP. Don't worry about it!

Try do a water change, and you will see your ORP dropping! Then, slowly it will go up again!

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a concern with the tank that warrants an orp controller? Or just a personal preference?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is using ozone, and in that case I would want orp monitoring.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back