Corals with horses

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone!

I'm planning out a tank that I'd eventually be setting up for Sea Horses and/or mandarins/pipefish in the future, and was hoping for suggestions and best options for the kind of corals I could keep with sea horses. I've read the articles about corals stinging them, but to a newbie like myself, I don't quite know which ones that would be. I would love to be able to set up a beautifully colored tank eventually, but the articles thus far aren't too specific as to what should and shouldn't be in a horse tank.
From someone who is just getting into saltwater, there are so many beautiful sps, lps, and softies that I have no idea where to begin. Just sitting here currently, envious of the amazing tanks I see posted on here every day. This site is awesome!

Thanks for any advice!

Happy holidays!

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Gorgonians and Macro algaes. There are some beautiful macro tanks on the web, give them a look. There are also more and more photosynthetic gorgs out there now so less high nutrient problems to add to an already high nutrient tank, as seahorse tanks are.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have macros, gorgonians, leather corals, zoas, and mushrooms. I also have a few NPS.
Stinging corals are your LPS (torch, frogspawn, hammers) stay away from anemonies too. Paly's can be toxic if a horse brushes up against it. Also, with SPS the seahorses can get stuck in them and they can get irritated by the horses hitching. I too agree sticking to macros, gorgonians and softies. Have you looked at SeahorseSource.com article section? Lots of great info there. Best wishes and Merry Fishmas!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are new to saltwater, it is good to read all you can on seahorse keeping. It sounds like you are trying to do that.

Seahorses can be challengeing from the husbandry stand point. They need excellant water quality that is not harboring pathogenic bacteria. Any excess food or seahorse waste that is caught in your rock, coral or macro algae can encourage these bad bacterias to get a foothold in your tank. Unfortunately the test kits do not measure bad bacteria so the only way to combat it is to do due diligence, which means larger more frequent water changes than other fowlr or reef tanks. Also changing filter media or socks every 3 days or so is necessary so the bad bacterias do not grow there. A large oversized skimmer is very helpful as well.

As far as what kind of coral are safe, I agree with gorgonians, small mushrooms, zoas, clove polyps, gsp, xenia, and leathers. Just be mindful that detritus and left over food is easily trapped under or amongst coral so extra care must be taken to keeping the tank clean. I use a turkey baster at least 2Xs a week to blow my rocks and coral free of debris.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look in the Seahorse.org forum library. There is a "Tankmates" list with pictures. Excellent resource!
Considering doing a seahorse tank with other peaceful tank mates and have seen this site referenced several times in this forum. Do you have to be a member to utilize the site? It seems like long pages do not scroll or flicker and can’t be read.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back