Cornbred Neptune Paly

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone out there have one of these polyps?

I bought a single polyp from him back about 5 months ago. It was sold to me as a "baby polyp". Since then it has sprouted off 2 new polyps, but they grow ridiculously slow. the polyp started about the size of a People Eater paly's MOUTH and now is the size of a mini-zoa (time machine, paradise, etc), so in 5 months the original polyp is maybe 2-3 mm bigger. The color on them as well is weird. He told me that as babies they look like a gorilla nipple type zoa, and they blossom into their beautiful blue and white colors as they grow.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

For reference, this is the stock photo
neptunec.png

jarred1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that those are photoshoped so yours will never look like that. I mean just look at the coraline algae, since when was that stuff just as blue as that polyp.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if the blue is coraline, but it could be the actual frag plus itself, I have noticed that people are stating to use bits of broken glass as fillers for their frag plugs, so what we see there could be glass.

What is the current color of your polyp?

OP
OP
SD Actuary

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i wasn't necessarily asking "is this photoshopped" but thanks.....Negret's ebay pictures are extremely over saturated but for the most part (aside from the atomic space monsters), almost all his Palys look like his pictures. I was hoping to get opinions from other people with this paly.

My polyps are a very very deep blue with orange mouth. 5 months now and no real change in color of the polyp. Hopefully it turns around soon. This is worse than waiting for the Bowser to sprout a baby.

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i have one and its really not that color its actually just a marijane.... the marijanes do that when they reach baby to half way towards an adult polyp... it does have a little more white around the orange mouth and outer rim than a regular marijane though.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have one and its really not that color its actually just a marijane.... The marijanes do that when they reach baby to half way towards an adult polyp... It does have a little more white around the orange mouth and outer rim than a regular marijane though.

exactly what i was thinking

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one that was kinda like that but over all that picture is the result of to much saturation but more importantly it is cleary moving the Hue slider way to far. thats why all the purple colors have changed to the same blue. its just a change of the Hue. i will buy every polyp you get for 2 times the price you paid if they look even close to that color. (which i can assure you they wont.) its one thing to over saturate a coral with color but i HATE when people change to color of the coral itself all together by adjusting hue.

PS: i am not saying those colors are not possible. im just saying that from that picture i highly doubt it will ever be even close

here is one that i have thats close to that. not quite but the color is similar
bp.jpg

Last edited:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never even heard of these but thanks for makeing the thread just another one added to my list of to get

OP
OP
SD Actuary

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i have one and its really not that color its actually just a marijane.... the marijanes do that when they reach baby to half way towards an adult polyp... it does have a little more white around the orange mouth and outer rim than a regular marijane though.

Great to know, thanks Ben.

Weird how slow it grows compared to a regular Mary Jane tho.

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know, thanks Ben.

Weird how slow it grows compared to a regular Mary Jane tho.

Yeah it's just a slightly different strain but just wait until it settles in your tank even more and it should start taking off. They seem to grow in spurts. Mine didn't do anything for 6 months then one day 4 came out. Marijanes were like that the first time I got them a while back as well. Now most the marijanes out there are propagated well enough the growth speed is much faster than it was before.

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keepsgettingbetter.jpg

maryjanezsssss.jpg

I sold these to Richard, these are most definitely not the same as Mary Janes. They are larger and grow ALOT slower. Second pic is Mary Janes.

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I got my first Neptune from good ole Gonzo.

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last pic with polyps at various stages of maturity.
dirtyMc_1f.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back