Correct method of acclimating

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I finally do setup my reef tank, what's the best method of acclimating fish and invertebrates.

I've heard that when adding fish to the quarantine tank you should only worry about temperature and salinity, so drip-acclimating is unecessary, but when adding then from the QT to the DT should I drip acclimate?

What about invertebrates, should I drip acclimate all inveterbrates (Shrimp, CUC, anemone and corals)? They are more sensitive to water parameters than fish.

What's your experience with acclimating reef creatures?

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I finally do setup my reef tank, what's the best method of acclimating fish and invertebrates.

I've heard that when adding fish to the quarantine tank you should only worry about temperature and salinity, so drip-acclimating is unecessary, but when adding then from the QT to the DT should I drip acclimate?

What about invertebrates, should I drip acclimate all inveterbrates (Shrimp, CUC, anemone and corals)? They are more sensitive to water parameters than fish.

What's your experience with acclimating reef creatures?
I drip acclimate all my fish and corals. Your QT should be the stuff as your DT so there’s really no need to acclimate your fish. When transferring fish and inverts.

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float bag or the container they are in for 20 minutes then slowly drip acclimate. I do so until the amount of the water from the container/bag triples at least. Ph can also be different so you want to watch that as well as temp and salinity. Don’t rush it with corals.

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish, I drop acclimate but try to match the salitinity in my QT to the water in the tank it came from. Over the length of QT process, I slowly raise it to match my display tank over the course of several weeks with water changes so it’s an even match to display tank by the time quarantine is done.

For inverts, my parameters are close to what my LFS keeps them so sometimes it’s a float and release, sometimes drip.

Corals get 15-30 minute dip, then go in tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back