Correct size uv sterlizer?

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in an interesting situation, I have access to a 18watt UV sterilizer my problem is my total water volume on my tank is 140gal. The UV sterlizer is recommended for 100gal I know the answer is odvious but can I use it on my system?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldnt use it inline with your return pump but you can absolutely run it from a manifold or secondary pump.

the correct size for a UV is the largest you can afford.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt use it inline with your return pump but you can absolutely run it from a manifold or secondary pump.

the correct size for a UV is the largest you can afford.
Would I still revive the benifts from it (Dino deduction, deduction of algae, clearer water, ect) or would it only really be effective at clearing up the water?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 watts and up is more effective but if the 18 watt is what you have access to then I would use it on a manifold with a valve to control the amount of water that passes thru it . 100 -200 gallons per hour is what I would go for as the more contact time you have with the light the more beneficial it will be . If no manifold , then set up a smaller separate pump and put a valve after it and before the UV to have the ability to control the flow

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 36w on a DC pump to control flow. Plumbing it in isn't the best option for everyone depending on your setup. My pump is in my refugium directly under my UV and the exit line is routed into the return pump chamber.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would I still revive the benifts from it (Dino deduction, deduction of algae, clearer water, ect) or would it only really be effective at clearing up the water?

you absolutely could benefit from it. It may not be the most efficient since you arent going to be able to run a lot of water through it but it will help.

I run a 57w on my 70gal aquarium. Its on my return pump so all my filter water goes through it.

use the 18w for now and if you want more out of it in the future get a bigger one. Keep an eye out for used ones. All you need is a new bulb and to clean the sleeve.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you absolutely could benefit from it. It may not be the most efficient since you arent going to be able to run a lot of water through it but it will help.

I run a 57w on my 70gal aquarium. Its on my return pump so all my filter water goes through it.

use the 18w for now and if you want more out of it in the future get a bigger one. Keep an eye out for used ones. All you need is a new bulb and to clean the sleeve.
Oh, I’ll keep a lookout but I should mention the one I’m getting is a killer deal from a friend who bought it and wasent able to return it so I’ll be on the look out in the futur if I think I need to upgrade.thank you very much for your help!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarification generally requires less wattage than sterilization ….

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in an interesting situation, I have access to a 18watt UV sterilizer my problem is my total water volume on my tank is 140gal. The UV sterlizer is recommended for 100gal I know the answer is odvious but can I use it on my system?
You need to find the flow chart. If you are underdosing UV, it wont do anything. For algae, you need 30,000 uw/cm2 at 5-10x tank volume per hour. For parasites, 280,000 uw/cm2 at 1-3x tank volume per hour.

Use the chart and do a little math. If you have 1/2 the flow, you double the exposure, and vice versa.

So your sterilizer needs to be able to put out 30,000 uw/cm2 at 700 gph or it wont do anything.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 62 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 47 36.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back