Cost efficient way way to light a 30 inch wide tank?

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I need some suggestions! I currently have a 72x24x24 that's lit by 4 radion g4 xr15s. Im planning for a new tank which will be 96x30x28 or 30 inches high, not sure which I want yet. Im planning on keeping my g4 xr15s but I know im gonna need to add one or two more radions to light the length of the tank, I know xr15s won't cover the 30 inch width but I don't want to buy another 6 lights to get better spread. I want to keep the lighting cost down as much as I can, I really need advice on what my best route to lighting a 30 inch tank is with what I have right now. I was looking into reef brite led strips but I know nothing about them.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need at least one (possibly two) additional XR15s to cover the length, and you might find that there is about 3-4" on the front and back not completely covered. Alternately, you could go with a pair of XR30s and place them vertically in the center of your tank and that would give you full coverage front to back for 1/3 to 1/2 of your tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some reef brites or similar would be the best choice. Oprhek, t5, or similar also work.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need at least one (possibly two) additional XR15s to cover the length, and you might find that there is about 3-4" on the front and back not completely covered. Alternately, you could go with a pair of XR30s and place them vertically in the center of your tank and that would give you full coverage front to back for 1/3 to 1/2 of your tank.
Yea I'm gonna have to buy probably 2 more radions for the length of the tank but the way I see it, if I have to double the amount of lights I have to buy, I would get a 36 inch wide tank which would end up costing me way more than im willing to spend.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a job for some Orphek strips in front and back
I would probably look into adding 2-4 strips for supplemental lighting. Probably 2 in the front and 2 in the back. I don't plan on growing acros deep in the tank so I should be good.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which reef brite strip do you recommend?

I personally have not used them on my tanks (only seen them on other tanks and online) but it more or less comes down to how much white vs blue you like. Others on here probably have more experience playing around with them

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going reefbrite you’ll want to be using the XHO series since your are actually looking for more coverage amd not solely supplementation.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most efficient... reflectors. Next best way... just stock the back 18-24 inches with coral and make it easier to light where you can let the front just get the leftover light spread.

I light large tanks. LEDs are significantly less efficient than few Metal Halides on Reflectors... both to buy and then run with the wattage. There is more to this than just efficiency, which I imagine is why you are talking about LEDs.

30 inches high is no joke either.

In the end, I strongly suggest that you take advice from people who have solved this problem. Many try and help with the best of intentions not knowing that what they do to light a smaller tank will not scale.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel like Retrofitting some T5s?

What corals are you wanting to keep?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back