Orphek OR3 light bars for a 96" x 30" tank

Wrinkled Fingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to settle on lighting for a 96" x 30" tank. Tank will be fish only. I am leaning towards using Orphek OR3 light bars to do the job. I am just unsure about the amount needed for adequate coverage. Would six 48" bars, two rows of three light bars, suffice? I assume the lights would be hung 10 to 15 inches above the water line. Any advice appreciated!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am trying to settle on lighting for a 96" x 30" tank. Tank will be fish only. I am leaning towards using Orphek OR3 light bars to do the job. I am just unsure about the amount needed for adequate coverage. Would six 48" bars, two rows of three light bars, suffice? I assume the lights would be hung 10 to 15 inches above the water line. Any advice appreciated!
6 maybe - 8 for sure using a combination of Sky Blue and blue plus

OP
OP
W

Wrinkled Fingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you mount higher? That tank would be a great candidate for the Amazonia 960s. Those things look amazing!
I did see those lights as well and agree they do look amazing. Has Orphek released the cost for these lights publicly yet? Don't see prices listed on their site. I only will have around 36 inches of clearance between the top of the tank and ceiling. There is also a steel beam that will run directly above the left side of the tank limiting my ability to hang the lights any higher than about 18-20 inches on that end.

Perhaps these could still work depending on positioning, but would probably need three units so cost would likely be prohibitive in comparison to the light bar combo. Especially considering this tank will not house coral. Just a guess though as I do not know what the 960s are going for, but I am sure its a heck of a lot more that a $200 light bar :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:.

6 maybe - 8 for sure using a combination of Sky Blue and blue plus
Thanks vetteguy. Any reason not to add Reef Day Plus light bars into the mix? If hanging eight bars I was thinking two Reef Day, three Sky Blue and three Blue Plus for variety and to add some white light.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did see those lights as well and agree they do look amazing. Has Orphek released the cost for these lights publicly yet? Don't see prices listed on their site. I only will have around 36 inches of clearance between the top of the tank and ceiling. There is also a steel beam that will run directly above the left side of the tank limiting my ability to hang the lights any higher than about 18-20 inches on that end.

Perhaps these could still work depending on positioning, but would probably need three units so cost would likely be prohibitive in comparison to the light bar combo. Especially considering this tank will not house coral. Just a guess though as I do not know what the 960s are going for, but I am sure its a heck of a lot more that a $200 light bar :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:.

Thanks vetteguy. Any reason not to add Reef Day Plus light bars into the mix? If hanging eight bars I was thinking two Reef Day, three Sky Blue and three Blue Plus for variety and to add some white light.
Not sure why you have to reach out for pricing which has been a practice of theirs. Its like a pet store that has coral on display but no prices and a sign that says "ask". I wont ask in most cases
I can Predict they will have any day now an "easter sale" in which they Do show pricing. If not, A Memeorial day sale is a sure bet with them
Day plus unless dimmable will give you no chance to reduce white balance. The sky blue is bright, assuring me no need for white

OP
OP
W

Wrinkled Fingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I was losing my mind trying to find pricing information on their site. I am in the earlier stages of planing my build so waiting for a sale is no issue. Thanks for the information, much apreciated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back