Orphek OR3 bar only on Osix spectrum question…

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a WaterBox 60.2 going since July, and I wanted a led bar only light system. Went with Orphek OR3’s on an Osix. I’m running 5 bars laid out as:

Blue Plus
Violet Reef Day
Blue Sky
Violet Reef Day
Blue Plus

Don’t know if I’m splitting hairs, overanalyzing, etc, but… from a perspective of coral health and spectrum band, I’ve been considering swapping out the Blue Sky for a UV/violet bar. Reasoning is the 400-430 range “may” be lacking, however this could just be a thought due to overthinking, and I don’t know for a fact. That said, I’m just wondering if adding the UV and removing the Blue Sky will be beneficial for a mixed reef setup, or if I’m fine how it’s setup now. It will add some 400-430 range but take away some of the 450-475 range.

Pic attached for the heck of it…

IMG_4811.jpeg

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a WaterBox 60.2 going since July, and I wanted a led bar only light system. Went with Orphek OR3’s on an Osix. I’m running 5 bars laid out as:

Blue Plus
Violet Reef Day
Blue Sky
Violet Reef Day
Blue Plus

Don’t know if I’m splitting hairs, overanalyzing, etc, but… from a perspective of coral health and spectrum band, I’ve been considering swapping out the Blue Sky for a UV/violet bar. Reasoning is the 400-430 range “may” be lacking, however this could just be a thought due to overthinking, and I don’t know for a fact. That said, I’m just wondering if adding the UV and removing the Blue Sky will be beneficial for a mixed reef setup, or if I’m fine how it’s setup now. It will add some 400-430 range but take away some of the 450-475 range.

Pic attached for the heck of it…

IMG_4811.jpeg
I would say your good. If you are seeing good growth and the coral looks happy I would not mess with it.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are good as is.

I would say you’re good. If you are seeing good growth and the coral looks happy I would not mess with it.

I’m going to start adding SPS shortly and was just concerned about lack of UV side of the spectrum. Corals look happy for sure, just want to make sure long term I’m not going to have wanted to change lighting earlier on.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to start adding SPS shortly and was just concerned about lack of UV side of the spectrum. Corals look happy for sure, just want to make sure long term I’m not going to have wanted to change lighting earlier o
Adding in some T5 will make your life easier as far as keeping acropora colored up and happy. People make lots of arguments against T5, but I’ve never heard anyone argue that their acros don’t like them.

That being said, I’ve seen multiple mature And colored up SPS tanks running Orphek Atlantics. You have good coverage already, that’s a big mistake people often make with LEDs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding in some T5 will make your life easier as far as keeping acropora colored up and happy. People make lots of arguments against T5, but I’ve never heard anyone argue that their acros don’t like them.

That being said, I’ve seen multiple mature And colored up SPS tanks running Orphek Atlantics. You have good coverage already, that’s a big mistake people often make with LEDs.
I have room on the Osix for another bar if I want/need to add one, I know it’s no T5 coverage but it seems like I have pretty solid coverage with this setup. PAR is no issue either.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have room on the Osix for another bar if I want/need to add one, I know it’s no T5 coverage but it seems like I have pretty solid coverage with this setup. PAR is no issue eithe
Your corals look happy. I think you’re ready for SPS!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back