could a media reactor be used as a power filter?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious, if this would work to polish the water, or...if it would'nt have enough surface area of the filter floss itself? any thoughts?
TIA

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose the concept would still apply. You'd have to push some serious water through the reactor though. Typically reactors have smaller pumps since you don't want to blast water through carbon or GFO.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose the concept would still apply. You'd have to push some serious water through the reactor though. Typically reactors have smaller pumps since you don't want to blast water through carbon or GFO.
makes sense. I was looking at power filters, DIY and then thought about it is all. guess really if you added a bigger pump, it would be "better" but...was just curious in general. thanks!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
curious, if this would work to polish the water, or...if it would'nt have enough surface area of the filter floss itself? any thoughts?
TIA
You mean, putting floss (or something) into a reactor then pumping water through it? Yes - it would work - but it would likely clog fast. There are number of DIY water polishers you can do with a pop bottle, floss, and a powerhead. They are easy to clean!

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean, putting floss (or something) into a reactor then pumping water through it? Yes - it would work - but it would likely clog fast. There are number of DIY water polishers you can do with a pop bottle, floss, and a powerhead. They are easy to clean!
I saw those too. What size pump should I look for? I'm wanting to use this on both my 125 and my 32 biocube
Thank You

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok thanks!! I'll be looking for one this am while in town.
I'm not sure you need 600-800 gallons per hour for a water polisher. Try something like this:
PS - If you want bigger use a bigger bottle. I put something like this in my sump - it keeps the flow going - and also gets the water clear before going back into the tank

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you need 600-800 gallons per hour for a water polisher. Try something like this:
PS - If you want bigger use a bigger bottle. I put something like this in my sump - it keeps the flow going - and also gets the water clear before going back into the tank

doesnt say the size of the pump. but that's ok, I have a pretty good idea I think, of what I can do. thanks!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just going off what the DSR method recommends for powerfilter flow:
– 1000l/h for tanks up to 200l ……….. (H.max > 1,25m)
– 2400-3000l/h for tanks up to 1000l (H.max > 2m)
This isn't for a power filter. Its for a polishing filter. There is a difference. But yes you're correct.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A49ECE0-8D64-4C2D-9D02-A0D22DFD3FBA.jpeg

These used to be under $50. Excellent at polishing and can also be used with DE as the ultimate polisher including removing green water, swimming stage of ich/velvet and dinos. Anything larger than DE can be stripped out of the water.

Also has the ability to polish without DE with its pleated micron cartridge. Don’t see any diy or typical reactor perform the same level of polishing. One of those tools I think every aquarist should have. Especially if they are expecting a photo shoot. Might as well make that water sparkle.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4A49ECE0-8D64-4C2D-9D02-A0D22DFD3FBA.jpeg

These used to be under $50. Excellent at polishing and can also be used with DE as the ultimate polisher including removing green water, swimming stage of ich/velvet and dinos. Anything larger than DE can be stripped out of the water.

Also has the ability to polish without DE with its pleated micron cartridge. Don’t see any diy or typical reactor perform the same level of polishing. One of those tools I think every aquarist should have. Especially if they are expecting a photo shoot. Might as well make that water sparkle.
I had one of these - and you're absolutely correct - they work great - (at least in my tank) for a couple days - they then require cleaning, rinsing, etc. I was using it in a 200 gallon tank (which is probably too big for this particular filter) - and like I said - for 24-48 hours it really worked well.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of these - and you're absolutely correct - they work great - (at least in my tank) for a couple days - they then require cleaning, rinsing, etc. I was using it in a 200 gallon tank (which is probably too big for this particular filter) - and like I said - for 24-48 hours it really worked well.
Definitely not big enough for a 200 but could add three more and place for me at each corner. Will likely last longer between cleaning. Although if you don’t mind cleaning it every other day then one seems to be enough for your situation.

Dud you use just with carbon and blue sleeve or the pleated filter?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can also use the polishing function of the larger marineland filters. I have found, though - significant issues with these filters - and don't recommend them

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely not big enough for a 200 but could add three more and place for me at each corner. Will likely last longer between cleaning. Although if you don’t mind cleaning it every other day then one seems to be enough for your situation.

Dud you use just with carbon and blue sleeve or the pleated filter?
Hi - I used the polishing filter. again - the only problem was the speed in which it clogged and had to be cleaned. The bigger polishing filters were similar - except. the o-ring seemed to quickly leak - or slowly leak at the proverbial worst possible time. The old Magnum 350 filters also had that function - and did quite well. FWIW - I don't need a polishing filter at this point - with tank maturity - the water stays basically crystal clear.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know what the micron rating is for the marineland pleated filters?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 Microns
Thanks.

I have an extra empty RODI housing kicking around that has larger 1/2" ports on it. Been kicking around the idea of making it into a polishing filter of some sort. Stick a pleated sediment filter in it, plumb it with some hoses and a pump. Drop the pump into my mixing station or my tank and let it run for a few hours/overnight to polish the water. When its done, just chuck the filter. Heck, some of them are rinseable/reusable too.

I have some pleated filters that range from 30 micron, all the way down to .35 micron, so I'm sure something in the upper range would work fine.

I guess I could try a depth filter too, and see how it does compared to a pleated style filter.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this filter experiment didn't go as planned....

I was doing a water change this weekend and decided to try out my new filter.
dropped the pump into my mixing station and was going to pump the fresh water, through the filter and into my display tank. All went great... pump and filter worked great, no leaks! every thing worked great. Very happy with my new pump/filter. or so I thought.

An hour later, I happened to notice a bunch of microbubbles in the tank and I checked the skimmer, which of course was overflowing and bubbling like crazy.

I'm guessing there must have been some type of chemical/lubricant/manufacturing fluid inside the canister housing or the new pleated filter that caused my skimmer to go crazy. Looks like I should have rinsed the housing and new filter out before using, like you do when you replace a new RODI filter. but I didn't think of that and now my skimmer is going crazy and my tank is filled with microbubbles from the skimmer. ugh.

next time I'll be sure to rinse out a new filter before using it in the system. Other than that, it worked great. LOL.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back