Could I interest you in a cup of anemone?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't apologize for the title.

Hoping some more experienced keepers can give me some input on my plan. I picked up a bubbletip that someone was holding for me, but they wanted it out about 6 weeks earlier than I had planned for. The end game was to give it, and it's fellow anemonean citizens it's own 15g cube to live in. However, I still have all of my coral in this tank, and the 25 lagoon won't be ready for a week or so. This means I still need to maintain pretty hefty flow, and the rock is a bit crowded.

So after scouring a bunch of threads and reading a lot of @OrionN 's posts, I decided to put a few pieces of LR rubble into a measuring cup, then I put the anemone in there. This kind of kept it protected from the flow, and also gave the opportunity to see how it's underside and foot were doing.

I'd like to keep him/her in the cup for about 4-5 more days. At this point, I am just trying to keep the water stable and keep my hands off the anemone. Any issues with this plan? I was a bit concerned this morning when he looked a little bit smaller and less extended, but overall the colouration is good and I don't see any issues with the foot. I've only kept anemones under halides and in larger tanks long ago, the margins for error feel much slimmer now with this small tank.

anem1.jpg anem2.jpg anem3.jpg

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem IMO. One of my gigs is still living in the bowl it attached to during it's Cipro treatment in QT and that was months ago, it'll probably stay put. Also, it'll probably be ok in the flow if not unless it gets caught in a pump.

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be an issue, I kept a green BTA in an “acclimation box” for months.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem IMO. One of my gigs is still living in the bowl it attached to during it's Cipro treatment in QT and that was months ago, it'll probably stay put. Also, it'll probably be ok in the flow if not unless it gets caught in a pump.
Ya I guess the cup kind of serves 2 purposes - lowers the risk of it getting sucked into the intake or powerhead, and also gives it a safe confined spot to get used to the tank. Once I move all of my LPS out and dial the flow back, I will feel much better about letting her go free.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks really happy. If YOU don't mide the cup, it is fine.
My Magnifica is in a ceramic tile 4X4 white tile.
img_9110-jpeg.3173727

It's obvious how they got their species name, wow!

I don't mind the cup, but once it's settled into the new environment and the lighting, I may still try to move it. Going to give it some time untouched if I can. Maybe when I move the tank later next month and need to disturb it anyway it would be a good time to get it over with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned on the light tonight about an hour after the tank goes dark, I wanted to check on a polyp, and I noticed my bubble tip had…flipped? After the white light had been on for a few mins, it kind of started to flip back.

Is this quirky anemone behaviour, or is it telling me it’s unhappy with its new home or cup?

IMG_4322.jpeg IMG_4323.jpeg IMG_4324.jpeg

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's most likely telling you that it wants to move. Just be careful, since once inflated like that, it can easily float away.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stressful few days - first I had to move the tank, then my BTA dissapeared for a couple days. I took the advice of this forum and just let it be, and it decided to come out. Glad I read up on some other threads before intervening.

Unfortunately, my clowns have decided to host a Tupperware container instead

IMG_4355.gif

IMG_4349.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back