Could I sustain a captive bred mandarin dragonet pair?

Can I keep a copepod population for a pair of mandarins in my 45 gallon AIO with the following plan?

• Yes! You can probably sustain a pair like this!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, you can keep a pair, but adjust your plan:

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No! Only get 1 mandarin!

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Don't get a mandarin!

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I'd really like to be able to keep a mandarin in my E-170 45 gallon AIO Red Sea max... I'm pretty confident that I could sustain copepod population for one mandarin in my tank... But do you all think with the following plan I could keep a pair alive and happy??

Current stock: 1 pair ocellaris, 1 royal gramma, 1 Midas blenny

Next I would add mandarin pair (or single mandarin based on recommendation)

And finally in the future possibly a flame hawk.

Open to suggestions to my plan, or telling me that any part of it is overkill :)

1. My tank is pretty full of live rock, so lots of hiding space
2. Going to dose Tommy's Phytoplankton at 15ml/day, possibly a little more in the future.
3. Going to add 1 jar each of Tisbe and apocs this month, and another jar tisbe in 1 more month. (As it is I have a small population just from live rock, and could probably grow it with Phyto. But would prefer to jump start)
4. Going to keep a pod hotel in my media rack in sump.
5. Around time I throw second jar in tank, buy the mandarin. Looking at ORA mandarin pair, that they say is trained to eat pellets, flakes and frozen. Going to use turkey baster at feeding time to get some in their direction so they have little competition

So with this plan think I can keep a pair? or just stick to 1?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest starting with one and then adding a second 6 months later. I would also suggest adding pods for several months before you add the first one. Before you add the first I would make sure your pod population is doing well. The problem with these fish is they eat very slow, they graze all day. So even if they eat prepared food you’re supposed to feed them multiple times a day. Having the pods for them to eat as well helps.

I’ve had mine for a couple of years
DCF6FC5F-1B30-41AB-ACF8-D4D22C10223A.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful, thank you. Do you find when you go on vacation (say for a week,) your (beautiful) mandarin can dwell solely on copepods with your copepod population? Or do you make sure they get some extra food in some way?

I would suggest starting with one and then adding a second 6 months later. I would also suggest adding pods for several months before you add the first one. Before you add the first I would make sure your pod population is doing well. The problem with these fish is they eat very slow, they graze all day. So even if they eat prepared food you’re supposed to feed them multiple times a day. Having the pods for them to eat as well helps.

I’ve had mine for a couple of years
DCF6FC5F-1B30-41AB-ACF8-D4D22C10223A.jpeg

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful, thank you. Do you find when you go on vacation (say for a week,) your (beautiful) mandarin can dwell solely on copepods with your copepod population? Or do you make sure they get some extra food in some way?
I worked on my pod population to the point where I don't even worry about feeding my mandarin and she's probably overweight. She eats pellets and frozen but I don't try to feed her. Just try and build your pod population. Tisbe and phyto all the way.
Start with one and wait like above stated. It'll be better in the long run. Female first. I've had mine almost 10 years now
Look at biota. They are a new company and making huge strides in the hobby. Their mandarins are fantastic.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I'd really like to be able to keep a mandarin in my E-170 45 gallon AIO Red Sea max... I'm pretty confident that I could sustain copepod population for one mandarin in my tank... But do you all think with the following plan I could keep a pair alive and happy??

Current stock: 1 pair ocellaris, 1 royal gramma, 1 Midas blenny

Next I would add mandarin pair (or single mandarin based on recommendation)

And finally in the future possibly a flame hawk.

Open to suggestions to my plan, or telling me that any part of it is overkill :)

1. My tank is pretty full of live rock, so lots of hiding space
2. Going to dose Tommy's Phytoplankton at 15ml/day, possibly a little more in the future.
3. Going to add 1 jar each of Tisbe and apocs this month, and another jar tisbe in 1 more month. (As it is I have a small population just from live rock, and could probably grow it with Phyto. But would prefer to jump start)
4. Going to keep a pod hotel in my media rack in sump.
5. Around time I throw second jar in tank, buy the mandarin. Looking at ORA mandarin pair, that they say is trained to eat pellets, flakes and frozen. Going to use turkey baster at feeding time to get some in their direction so they have little competition

So with this plan think I can keep a pair? or just stick to 1?
Is there an area for a diy refugium or a section you could do rock rubble? That would create a fantastic area for the pods to breed and have shelter

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked on my pod population to the point where I don't even worry about feeding my mandarin and she's probably overweight. She eats pellets and frozen but I don't try to feed her. Just try and build your pod population. Tisbe and phyto all the way.

Look at biota. They are a new company and making huge strides in the hobby. Their mandarins are fantastic.
This. I got lucky with mine already eating prepared from a lfs, but if I buy again, I'd more than consider the Biota route for a matched pair. I also agree to boost the population of pods as much as you can but I did have a easyier time knowing they will eat prepared foods.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. If I could choose again. Biota all the way. Fantastic company and the mandarins are adorable and eat everything
This. I got lucky with mine already eating prepared from a lfs, but if I buy again, I'd more than consider the Biota route for a matched pair. I also agree to boost the population of pods as much as you can but I did have a easyier time knowing they will eat prepared foods.

OP
OP
Z

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an area for a diy refugium or a section you could do rock rubble? That would create a fantastic area for the pods to breed and have shelter
I have considered a refugium in my media rack, however unfortunately the glass the divides the display from sump would spill lots of light through, ( tested with flashlight) even though its blacked out on the tank side. Probably the most irritating thing about my tank. But I do have lots of space for rock rubble, I'll probably do that. Been wondering what to do with my extra media rack space.

There is an upgrade for the tank that would allow me to have an under tank sump, and I may consider that eventually, the only thing really holding me back is my tank is absolutely silent right now, and have read that the sump for my tank adds quite a bit of noise

Looked into biota mandarins now, I'm convinced!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank sitter that feeds while I’m gone, but honestly I’ve never seen mine eat prepared food… even though I was told he would.

I buy pods from this person. I’ve got them from algae barn and pod your reef before, but this guy has the best pods I’ve ever gotten.

I buy phyto from this guy. Again purchased phyto from all over and he’s my favorite.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fresh-live-phyto-8-species-blend-–-free-shipping.796578/

calvertc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too small of a tank they travel long distances over rockwork picking at everything and have to be fed 4 to 7 times a day in small quantities

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too small of a tank they travel long distances over rockwork picking at everything and have to be fed 4 to 7 times a day in small quantities
That would mean my female mandarin male and trio of leopards wrasses I've had for at most 10 years now is too small in a 90.
It does make sense but having population in the back of the tank will take care of a 1in biota mandarin easy

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the pairs they sell are not really pairs. They are tiny juvies and not mates yet. Males and females sometimes fight when similar size. This is because in the wild… a small female breeds with a much larger male.

I doubt anyone can confidently tell you if it will work. Pod populations can vary a lot from tank to tank… adding more doesn’t actually mean you end up with more. Their numbers will stabilize based on food, predation, and breeding area.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank sitter that feeds while I’m gone, but honestly I’ve never seen mine eat prepared food… even though I was told he would.

I buy pods from this person. I’ve got them from algae barn and pod your reef before, but this guy has the best pods I’ve ever gotten.

I buy phyto from this guy. Again purchased phyto from all over and he’s my favorite.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fresh-live-phyto-8-species-blend-–-free-shipping.796578/
Absolutely the best phyto you can buy, hands down. @Eldredge also has some of the best CS in the industry.

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the pairs they sell are not really pairs. They are tiny juvies and not mates yet. Males and females sometimes fight when similar size. This is because in the wild… a small female breeds with a much larger male.

I doubt anyone can confidently tell you if it will work. Pod populations can vary a lot from tank to tank… adding more doesn’t actually mean you end up with more. Their numbers will stabilize based on food, predation, and breeding area.
I just got a pair from Biota - they are amazing. The male is about twice the size of the female and they get along great. Highly recommend. I’m still figuring out the feeding part but subscribing to AlgaeBarn for monthly pods as a safety net. I can’t seem to get any food to stick to the rocks or sand - nothing settles with my return pump. Any ideas how to mitigate that?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a pair from Biota - they are amazing. The male is about twice the size of the female and they get along great. Highly recommend. I’m still figuring out the feeding part but subscribing to AlgaeBarn for monthly pods as a safety net. I can’t seem to get any food to stick to the rocks or sand - nothing settles with my return pump. Any ideas how to mitigate that?
Masstick could work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back