Could I theoretically have SPS in my low tech tank?

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a pretty low tech tank. Just a heater, powerhead, HOB skimmer, and lighting. I have LPS and softies that have been thriving for awhile.
I want to consider SPS down the road when I've got a more mature tank.
However, I'm not sure I want to set up ATO or auto dosing. I dose and add water manually, day and night.
I am wondering if it's possible to keep SPS in this set up, as I know there will be changes in salinity and Alkalinity more than a gradual auto dose system. I also know SPS need stability. Would my manual dosing be too much instability to keep any SPS?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like having dosing automated when my hand is failproof and it takes only 20 seconds. I also worked at two LFS stores that never ran auto dosers.

OP
OP
C

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do it, but you'd definitely still need to monitor alk consumption and eventually do daily manual dosing once the colonies grew in a bit
I do that now for my LPS and softies. Weekly testing, adjust alk, Ca, Mg dose to keep it where I want it. The alk dose is broken up into 2 doses a day mixed in the freshwater I add. Ca and Mg in morning.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that now for my LPS and softies. Weekly testing, adjust alk, Ca, Mg dose to keep it where I want it. The alk dose is broken up into 2 doses a day mixed in the freshwater I add. Ca and Mg in morning.
You're more than good for sps trial then. Just be prepared for significantly more alk consumption as your sps colonies grow

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you dose?
You & sparetime probably have gotten this figured out, but just in case - remember the minimal dosing frequency is essentially a function of reservoir size (i.e. tank volume). Assuming you have larger tanks, you can absolutely get away with infrequent dosing. a 5 gallon pico with active SPS will need much more frequent dosing.

OP
OP
C

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You & sparetime probably have gotten this figured out, but just in case - remember the minimal dosing frequency is essentially a function of reservoir size (i.e. tank volume). Assuming you have larger tanks, you can absolutely get away with infrequent dosing. a 5 gallon pico with active SPS will need much more frequent dosing.
I have a 40 gallon. I do have a 5 gallon pico but that's just for nearly invasive corals that can handle it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back