Could this be the new CO2 scrubber of the future?

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New, Reusable Materials Could Pull CO2 Straight from Air
The materials are step toward an economy structured around recycling carbon instead of mining fossil fuels

Researchers have developed a new class of materials that can readily and efficiently absorb carbon dioxide from a smokestack or even directly from the atmosphere. The substances can help alleviate problems associated with carbon dioxide emissions, like climate change and ocean acidification.
At the University of Southern California, scientists used a polymer called polyethylenimine (PEI) as the basis for their new materials, which offered several advantages over existing strategies to filter carbon. "It's very easy to prepare," explained Alain Goeppert, a senior research scientist at the Loker Hydrocarbon Research Institute at USC.
The polymer is coated with a substance called fumed silica in differing amounts to determine the optimal coating. "It's much easier than the synthesis of other adsorbers, for example metallic organic frameworks," said Goeppert. Adsorption refers to atoms sticking to a given material's surface, as opposed to absorption, where the atoms permeate the material.

ADVERTISEMENT
"It's also cheap," he said, noting that PEI is available for sale commercially at low cost.
To collect carbon dioxide, Goeppert said the material can be packed into columns, which are then inserted into flues and chimneys in factories and power plants. The adsorber collects carbon dioxide as waste gases flow through it. When it becomes saturated, the PEI device is replaced.
The PEI materials also have a strong enough affinity for carbon dioxide that they can remove carbon dioxide directly from the air, where it is present in very low concentrations and factors like humidity impede other adsorbers.
Pushing to make material 'dirt cheap'
The nitrogen atom in the polymer forms a reversible link to carbon in the gas's presence. When the adsorber is heated above 100 degrees Celsius, it releases the carbon. This allows the material to be reused, but it also creates an easy way to collect and concentrate carbon dioxide.
The collected gas can then be put to work by converting it into fuel, according to G.K. Surya Prakash, a professor of chemistry at USC who conducted the study with Goeppert. He envisions an economy structured around recycling carbon instead of mining more fossil fuels and views PEI materials as a step in that direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
"We are interested in CO2 capture because we think CO2 is the best source of carbon for mankind. As a chemist, I tell people, 'Hey, guys! CO2 is the solution,'" said Prakash. "Earth doesn't have an energy problem; the Earth has an energy carrier problem."
Nonetheless, it may still be some time before PEI materials see widespread use. "For CO2 applications, there still needs to be work done," said Prakash, who wants to improve the materials' durability and wants to drive their already low costs down further. "You need to make it dirt cheap" before PEI gains acceptance, he said.
Goeppert, Prakash and their collaborators, including Nobel laureate George Olah, published their findings in November last year in the Journal of the American Chemical Society. The trio also laid out their vision for synthetic fuels in "Beyond Oil and Gas: The Methanol Economy."

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...it's been 8 years since the article and the only PEI I'm seeing in tanks is PEI mussels for feeding to fish....

Jokes aside....what happens to the PEI after it gets exhausted and has bound as much CO2 as it could?

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure would be nice. The soda lime pellets are expensive.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One point to clarify is that PEI by itself is not very usable. The two most common applications being researched are for flue gas and ambient gas (the CO2 in the air we breathe). Flue gas CO2 concentrations are obviously much higher than the ambient air. In either scenario though, there needs to be a support material to act as a scaffolding for the PEI. Many broad material categories are being investigated and three leading candidates are silica, alumina and carbon. Mesoporous silica and to a lesser degree alumina are the most widely investigated materials as supports because of their availability and various nanosized pores. Some PEI impregnated silica supports displayed a high CO2 capture capacity and excellent stability for up to 50 or 100 adsorption–desorption cycles of CO2.

Carbon is another leading candidate. The presence of moisture also enhances the CO2capture capacity for both conditions of flue gas and the ambient environment. The CO2 capture performance of some PEI‐impregnated mesoporous carbons proved that carbon could be a strong candidate for polyamine loading because of its abundance, low cost, and surface functionality. Just like in a fish tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would suggest that someone just try cheap sodium hydroxide solution and allow the air to bubble through it. Should remove CO2 quite well. I've used that system in the lab to remove hydrogen sulfide gas from an air stream.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would suggest that someone just try cheap sodium hydroxide solution and allow the air to bubble through it. Should remove CO2 quite well. I've used that system in the lab to remove hydrogen sulfide gas from an air stream.

If I can get my hands on a auxiliary oversized silencer for a skimmer, I would be willing to test this. Those silencers on the eshopps skimmers are built perfect for this. Fill the silencer 1/3 with the solution and it would bubble through it. It also has a drain built into it for easy solution replacing.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set this up works great and is cheap. I use two reactor chambers to prevent any chance of sucking water into my skimmer. I also added a ph indicator to the solution. So long as it stays blue it’s still good. If too much precipitation doesn’t form I’ll just add water and drop a hydroxide pellet in the first reactor When it goes yellow. Bromothymol blue indicator. A lot cheaper than pellets from brs but if you are not a chemist or have kids I’d be careful The solution is dangerous to your skin. I’m starting with a one molar solution to see how long it lasts. Pretty safe concentration. Don’t skimp on the second empty reactor. If hydroxide got sucked in your tank it would be game over. I suspect this is why it’s not more widely used for co2 scrubbing on aquariums. Also just passing air over hydroxide pellets will not work. You need water. Granted if you do that long enough you will have a solution as it is hydroscopic.

just set this up with milk jug. All I needed was three pellets in a gallon to make solution up. I measured the co2 coming out with a draager tube drop from 350 to 150ppm in a single pass. Two jugs dropped it to 75ppm. Add few more pellets and it dropped to 75ppm in single pass. Good enough. If I can figure a recycling system for the air it could drop to zero.

is it possible to capture the exhaust from the skimmer and feed it back to scrubber in a near closed loop? Can’t be perfect but might work. More work than I want to do. /

Last edited:

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back