Could use some help

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first time having a saltwater tank. I’ve had the tank for about 10 months now and I can’t seem to keep the water parameters stable. I feel like there’s always an issue with one thing or another. Literally everyday I’m dealing an issue. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong that the parameters are just high all the time. I do constant water changes but nothing ever seems to work. Right now every water parameter that I’ve tested is sky high and I don’t understand why. I did a 25% water change cleaned the filter cleaned the decor in the tank but it doesn’t work. Can someone please help me. I really want to be able to enjoy my tank instead of constantly worrying about my fish dying because of the water quality. (I get my water from my LFS)

pleas help me :(

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your filter? Whats your tests? What are you testing thats high? Are your test kits expired maybe?
D

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval 107 canister and I’m using the saltwater master test so ammonia ph nitrate nitrite it’s not expired my fish are constantly breathing fast

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a refractometer? Beer salt lvl tester. Lol.
If you can. Id do a large wc. Ro water from the water dispenser at safeway or food store.
That canister filter does a good job of catching crap but not exporting it. Dosent turn it into anything beneficial. Just traps it for you to remove it and clean it constantly.

Some bulk carbon in a media bag would help with the water change. A protein skimmer too maybe.
D

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is "everything"?

Very important! Which parameters and what level are they testing at?

What is the size of the tank? When you say "constant" water changes, what does that mean? How constant?

When you say that you get your water from the LFS, do you mean RODI or saltwater? If saltwater, have you tried testing it before putting it in your tank? It would be helpful for you to know the parameters of the water you are putting into the tank.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great and knowledgeable people here who will be able to help but you really need to provide us with more information that is more specific and less vague.

- Post your current water parameters in actual measurements
- What are you using to test?
- Are you dosing anything?
- What filtration methods or nutrient export methods are you using?
- What do you have in the tank in terms of fish/inverts/corals
- A tank shot/picture would be helpful

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great and knowledgeable people here who will be able to help but you really need to provide us with more information that is more specific and less vague.

- What do you have in the tank in terms of fish/inverts/corals
Sorry I wasn’t able to get back to you right away I was in the hospital..car accident. I will check the parameters when I get home tonight and post. It doesn’t help that my canister took a crap on me and I just got a new one today it’s only been one day no filter. I have a 29 gallon tank with a fluval 107 in the tank I have 3 Molly’s 1 long tentacle anemone two clowns the Molly’s just had babies so there’s like 6 fry in there 1 goby and I unfortunately lost my valentini yesterday:( I feed them 2 times a day just a pinch of pellets and a pinch of frozen music I also have a 10 gallon seahorse tank with a sponge filter with about 13 dwarfs in there most pregnant. I feed three times a day baby brines. I’m having the same issue with I’m constantly doing something with it . Water changes every other day and I’m adding prime every time I do a water change but that’s all I’ve done and the water parameters are never where they should be.

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- What do you have in the tank in terms of/inverts/corals
Sorry I wasn’t able to get back to you right away I was in the hospital..car accident. I will check the parameters when I get home tonight and post. It doesn’t help that my canister took a crap on me and I just got a new one today it’s only been one day no filter. I have a 29 gallon tank with a fluval 107 in the tank I have 3 Molly’s 1 long tentacle anemone two clowns the Molly’s just had babies so there’s like 6 fry in there 1 goby and I unfortunately lost my valentini yesterday:( I feed them 2 times a day just a pinch of pellets and a pinch of frozen music I also have a 10 gallon seahorse tank with a sponge filter with about 13 dwarfs in there most pregnant. I feed three times a day baby brines. I’m having the same issue with I’m constantly doing something with it . Water changes every other day and I’m adding prime every time I do a water change but that’s all I’ve done and the water parameters are never where they should be.
Whats your filter? Whats your tests? What are you testing thats high? Are your test kits expired maybe?
D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back