Could use some ideas on how to feed my Melanurus wrasse on the weekends for the workplace tank.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to surprise my boss when he gets back with this little fella. He fit in immediately and started eating like a pig. This is my bosses 90 gallon tank. Tons of rock for this guy to explore.

20220429_152408.jpg

20220405_121747.jpg

I've read they need to be fed up to 4 times a day. My concern is on the weekends when nobody is at work. I don't want him to starve to death or take out his hunger on other tank mates.

I have looked up automatic feeders but I am seeing a lot of feeders that are focused on dry foods rather than frozen. Is there a product out there I am missing? Is there an automatic feeder than could inside the tank? His tank has a giant glass lid that seals it. There are two tiny holes on either side I could use potentially. No sump.

Or is there a dry food that he would actually enjoy and I could try that for a weekend auto-feeder?

My boss has this thing ^^^ in the tank but that gets abused quickly by the molly in the tank. He wicked smart and bum rushes it when food gets added to the tank.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

*edit* Someone is dropping by this weekend to give them a bite to eat.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to surprise my boss when he gets back with this little fella. He fit in immediately and started eating like a pig. This is my bosses 90 gallon tank. Tons of rock for this guy to explore.

20220429_152408.jpg

20220405_121747.jpg

I've read they need to be fed up to 4 times a day. My concern is on the weekends when nobody is at work. I don't want him to starve to death or take out his hunger on other tank mates.

I have looked up automatic feeders but I am seeing a lot of feeders that are focused on dry foods rather than frozen. Is there a product out there I am missing? Is there an automatic feeder than could inside the tank? His tank has a giant glass lid that seals it. There are two tiny holes on either side I could use potentially. No sump.

Or is there a dry food that he would actually enjoy and I could try that for a weekend auto-feeder?

My boss has this thing ^^^ in the tank but that gets abused quickly by the molly in the tank. He wicked smart and bum rushes it when food gets added to the tank.

I have a melanurus along with several other wrasses that do at least a few days a week on pellets with no issues. I feed pellets 3x a day automatically and they get some frozen LRS, Rods, mysis and nori a few days a week outside of the auto feedings. Also I keep seeded with tisbe pods and amphipods.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus along with several other wrasses that do at least a few days a week on pellets with no issues. I feed pellets 3x a day automatically and they get some frozen LRS, Rods, mysis and nori a few days a week outside of the auto feedings. Also I keep seeded with tisbe pods and amphipods.
Mind if I ask which brand of pellets?

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any and all copepods, they will reproduce and supply a steady diet. It doesn't need to be more complicated.

You don't need whole feeding systems for a fish, at least not this particular fish.
So it sounds like I am overreacting a bit on how fast this fish goes hungry and since our tank has been steadily been stocked with pods we should be okay.

I heard they also eat fireworms. We don't have fire worms but we do have some chunky bristle worms in the tank. Maybe he might snack on one of those too? =)

*edit* I also really love this fish. The way he moves in and out of the rocks and the awesome stripes on him make him look sleek.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus in my office tank. He eats new life spectrum pellets 2x a day. Nori during weekdays, mysis 2x / week and I have a ton of pods established in my refugium that feed my mandarin, diamond goby, and wrasse

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Auto feeder such as Eheim battery operated

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220429_152408.jpg

20220405_121747.jpg

*edit* Someone is dropping by this weekend to give them a bite to eat.

Mine devours ocean nutriton prime flakes and hikari seaweed extreme pellets. However, the favorite food of my melanarus is the ocean nutirion red seaweed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. Just because I want to be safe rather than sorry I got the autofeeder and some pellets.
Pellets will suffice
Flakes will float and may create waste

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 14 wrasse across a range of species in a 250, pods is all they need while poking around for a weekend. Anything else is a bonus so dont overthink auto feeding where that could go wrong and smash the whole tank.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with above. I travel for a living and my tank gets totally ignored 3 days a week minimum, and up to 10 days every once in a while. Been this way for 20 years with no auto feeders ever. I have never ever lost a wrasse to starvation. Letting them fend for themselves over a weekend is a non issue. Everything will be fine. My wrasses are nuts and training them to a surface auto feeder is asking to find the wrasse on the floor come Monday morning.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a seaweed clip so he has a little change up in his diet. You guys/girls have been great.

The tank has been boring lately so I wanted to live it up a little more and surprise my boss when he got back from vacation.

The tank had :

2 - Clownfish
1 - Azure Damsel (I think. It has the same coloring)
1 - Orchid Dottyback
2 - Pajama Cardinals
1 - Marble Lyretail Molly

I added

3 - Blue/green chromis's
1 - Melanurus wrasse
1- Spotted Mandarin

It livens up the tank and the Mandarin is fun to watch climb up the walls and pick off pods. The Wrasse is king of the tank though. The Molly bosses around the damsel. He doesn't bite him but he like mouths him and chases him off. It's weird. So there are 2 kings in the tank right now.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only for weekends they would be perfectly fine without food . I wouldn't add Copepods unless you want to acutaly start a population. It's a little more then just throwing copepods in a tank on most tanks unfortunately . Auto feeder is another option but like a said a weekend I wouldn't worry about it personally

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The guy was happy today. I have some seaweed floating in there. I want to get the red seaweed that was recommended but this is what the store at. The molly likes it anyways.

He is a real pretty fish and I enjoy how he goes about his business and ignores everyone else.

*edit* I spaz out at the end of the clip not paying attention filming rocks and crabs.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back