Palytoxin Exposure in the Workplace

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working in the aquarium trade involves risk. Wet floors, water + electricity, angry customers, and somehwere on the spectrum, Palytoxin.

I am a reefing hobbyist and Occupational Safety Professional that is researching palytoxin exposure in the workplace (commercial fishery/coral collection/local fish shop/retailer). I am interviewing persons who have been exposed to palytoxin in the workplace for an article in a professional health and safety Journal.

* I am not a lawyer. This does not involve money, or settlements, or lawsuits. I do not even care to know who you were working for.*

If you have worked in the reefing trade in any capacity and would like to share your story with me please message me so that we can arrange a time to talk.

Please forward to anyone who you think may be interested. I have 15 years of experience as a safety professional and am certified through BCSP.

Photo: WWC

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's no small pool of respondents for sure

several people posted Dr. visit outcomes from palytoxin in posts that come up in the general forum. I handled palythoa for decades without issue, I'm from the luckily not susceptible camp other than obvious care to keep them away from eyes, open cuts etc. not much special handling was applied to them in the 90s that's for sure.

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's no small pool of respondents for sure

thousands of self-diagnosed examples are available
That’s the problem. Much like the misinformation in cancer research the first step is confirmation of the diagnosis. Just because you fart and lightning strikes you does not mean there is any correlation, much less causation.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in some of the infected-by-reef tank collections we see all kinds of stuff, I don't think I'm going to believe it is palytoxin until I see someone's blood chromatography readout. vibrio was a legit causative stated in more cases if I'm not mistaken.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the problem. Much like the misinformation in cancer research the first step is confirmation of the diagnosis. Just because you fart and lightning strikes you does not mean there is any correlation, much less causation.
Unless you are farting a giant cloud of protons...

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are farting a giant cloud of protons...
I’m 100% cool with researching null hypothesis correlations in search of mechanisms of actions (MOA). Until you can identify the MOA or a scientifically statistically relevant variable it’s not useful research. A lot of stuff in this landscape is tough because what little information there is was obtained through retrospective analysis. But hey, it’s getting easier every day to get grants and BAAs. I think you’re on to something with the proton cloud theory. Go ask for a couple million to research it then ask for more in 3 years when results are inconclusive. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what threshold of proof do you require to validate an exposure as palytoxin from respondents

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 100% cool with researching null hypothesis correlations in search of mechanisms of actions (MOA). Until you can identify the MOA or a scientifically statistically relevant variable it’s not useful research. A lot of stuff in this landscape is tough because what little information there is was obtained through retrospective analysis. But hey, it’s getting easier every day to get grants and BAAs. I think you’re on to something with the proton cloud theory. Go ask for a couple million to research it then ask for more in 3 years when results are inconclusive. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
That'll be just direct costs. A project like this is going to need a lot of overhead, I'm thinking ~70%. Maybe they can pool resources from the Dept. Of Energy and Health & Human Services to resolve this electron cloud phenomenon.

OP
OP
therootcause

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what threshold of proof do you require to validate an exposure as palytoxin from respondents

My greater concern is actually validating a workplace exposure as opposed to a basement hobbyist anecdote.

Both are important, but for my purposes, I’m looking at workplace safety.

I decided to start with Palytoxin. I will not be the one determining if there was proof of palytoxin exposure. In most instances, it was determined by the Physician.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working in the aquarium trade involves risk. Wet floors, water + electricity, angry customers, and somehwere on the spectrum, Palytoxin.

I am a reefing hobbyist and Occupational Safety Professional that is researching palytoxin exposure in the workplace (commercial fishery/coral collection/local fish shop/retailer). I am interviewing persons who have been exposed to palytoxin in the workplace for an article in a professional health and safety Journal.

* I am not a lawyer. This does not involve money, or settlements, or lawsuits. I do not even care to know who you were working for.*

If you have worked in the reefing trade in any capacity and would like to share your story with me please message me so that we can arrange a time to talk.

Please forward to anyone who you think may be interested. I have 15 years of experience as a safety professional and am certified through BCSP.

Photo: WWC
I see nothing good coming from this for the hobby. You may drive some type of safety awareness, but given your context and audience more than likely will just provide folder for unwitting regulation, compliance and certainly ambulance chasers.

Last edited:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My greater concern is actually validating a workplace exposure as opposed to a basement hobbyist anecdote.

I decided to start with Palytoxin. I will not be the one determining if there was proof of palytoxin exposure. In most instances, it was determined by the Physician.
My though is, without a tangible medical diagnosis, there is little difference in the validity of a hobbyist reporting an exposure and a "professional" reporting an exposure.

That said, the manager of my LFS cleaned out a paly infestation in a 200+ gallon tank and states that she was violently ill the next day. . .

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there a way via water samples to test for levels of palytoxin?

We always hear of airborne inhalation as a means of exposure, but the toxin starts in the water/organism.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back