Momma Always Said "Stupid is as Stupid Does!"

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I was recently on another thread which brought me to think about stupid things I have done related to the reefing hobby. Here is a small list of the ones that most stick out, im sur there have been many more.

My stupid mistakes,
1. Not wearing protection while working in your tank. I am currently being treated for either a serious infection, or palytoxin poisoning.
2. Forgetting to turn pumps back on after feeding. I lost 3 angels, a marbled cat shark, @Ocean_Queenie 's panther grouper (Named Queenie) and our narrow lined puffer (Bounty). I have Neptune Apex on all of our DT's to avoid this issue, now I run airstones in all my QT systems to provide oxygenation if I screw up again.
3. Stepping away from your mixing barrel when filling from a collection container and pumping gallons of water on to the floor. Or having the hose slip out of the tank while filling, having the valve open on a car boy while filling it with water, or any number of ways to get gallons of water on the floor. @Ocean_Queenie can attest to these mistakes.
4. Getting squirted in the eye with a paly or zoa when fragging as you took your safety glasses off for a second and forgot to put them back on fortunately didn’t even irritate me.

Oh that is just my list. Each and everyone of these I have done, plus I’m sure some I didn’t remember.

I’m guessing there are others who have even better examples. Join in with your EPIC FAILS!

Can I get this badge first, please.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I have found quite a few good ways to put water on the floor instead of the intended vessel.

For example, Not tightening the filter jars on the RODI unit after replacing the cartridges. Not reattaching the supply hose to the unit after another cleaning session. Never installing the auto shutoff that I have for the RODI and going to sleep.. (that one was bad and I have done it several times and guess what I STILL have not installed that shutoff valve... lol). Not making sure that the lid on the old canister filter was completely tight and the seals were in place...

Yes, aquarium maintenance day generally involves a load of towels in the laundry... lol

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers 2 and 3. Check. I’ll add.
1. Not correctly setting time on app that controls lights. ( why are my lights coming on at 4 am)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just this year I’ve gone both ways with my heater. In the summer I accidentally pulled my temperature sensor out and my tank went up to 87F before I realized. Lost a few corals.
Then recently I unplugged the heater, and many other things, during a water change and forgot to plug them back in. Tank was 72 before I realized.

Also last night I forgot to turn of my RODI. It’s outside so no flooding but still.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have had a few stupid incidents of my own, several when I worked for a lfs! One of my favorites is I stuck my hand in an eel's lair to swish him out so a customer could see him. He did not appreciate the rude interruption and clamped down on my ring finger,,,HARD! He left 3 razor sharp cuts all the way to the bone. I never made that mistake again, LOL.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a python plugged in the sink while removing water from the tank and not knowing that the sink is clogged (resulting in water spilling on the floor and through the ceiling).

Forgetting to stop the filling of rodi tub and catching it 1mm before it starts spilling on the floor.

Accidentally dropping dirty water from the store when dropping shrimps in the tank and bringing deadly disease to it.

So many more. I can’t remember.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yes, I have had a few stupid incidents of my own, several when I worked for a lfs! One of my favorites is I stuck my hand in an eel's lair to swish him out so a customer could see him. He did not appreciate the rude interruption and clamped down on my ring finger,,,HARD! He left 3 razor sharp cuts all the way to the bone. I never made that mistake again, LOL.
Yeah I forgot to add being bit by a morey. Mine was in the late 90’s. Walking by my tank I saw a trigger sucked against the power head. Reached in to free him and got hit by my black edge morey.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back