Sludge on zoas

leakytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I am having a bit of a panic!
This week I lost my main tank to a failed seal. I have a temporary tank at the moment and was in the process of clearing out dead corals - not fun. I picked out what I thought was a leather frag and brown detritus instantly clouded the tank. I removed the frag and placed in a bucket. It was then that I realised that this was a fake chili lime zoa frag with about 8-10 heads on it that were all closed. I instantly put the frag back in the tank. It was only ever touched with tongs. I am freaking out a bit that when it was out of the tank, it was have released palytoxin into the air and I have breathed it in.

Any advice for a concerned reefer??

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more concerned if it was palys, I think you’ll be fine but always but always use caution and it’s always better to be safe than sorry so if you have any symptoms go to the ER . They will initially not know what your talking about.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am freaking out a bit that when it was out of the tank, it was have released palytoxin into the air and I have breathed it in.

Any advice for a concerned reefer??
It wouldn't have released it into the air that way (see my post linked below), but if you're concerned, give poison control a call and see what they say.

For any palytoxin in the tank, you can run activated carbon and that'll remove it.

The link:

OP
OP
L

leakytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't have released it into the air that way (see my post linked below), but if you're concerned, give poison control a call and see what they say.

For any palytoxin in the tank, you can run activated carbon and that'll remove it.

The link:
Great, thanks for this. These posts are making me feel much better!
Activated carbon going in now!

OP
OP
L

leakytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more concerned if it was palys, I think you’ll be fine but always but always use caution and it’s always better to be safe than sorry so if you have any symptoms go to the ER . They will initially not know what you’re talking about.
Got it, thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back