Sludge on zoas

leakytank

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2023
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Location
York
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I am having a bit of a panic!
This week I lost my main tank to a failed seal. I have a temporary tank at the moment and was in the process of clearing out dead corals - not fun. I picked out what I thought was a leather frag and brown detritus instantly clouded the tank. I removed the frag and placed in a bucket. It was then that I realised that this was a fake chili lime zoa frag with about 8-10 heads on it that were all closed. I instantly put the frag back in the tank. It was only ever touched with tongs. I am freaking out a bit that when it was out of the tank, it was have released palytoxin into the air and I have breathed it in.

Any advice for a concerned reefer??
 
I’d be more concerned if it was palys, I think you’ll be fine but always but always use caution and it’s always better to be safe than sorry so if you have any symptoms go to the ER . They will initially not know what your talking about.
 
I am freaking out a bit that when it was out of the tank, it was have released palytoxin into the air and I have breathed it in.

Any advice for a concerned reefer??
It wouldn't have released it into the air that way (see my post linked below), but if you're concerned, give poison control a call and see what they say.

For any palytoxin in the tank, you can run activated carbon and that'll remove it.

The link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i-accidentally-touched-a-zoa-without-gloves.933468/#post-10552961
 
I’d be more concerned if it was palys, I think you’ll be fine but always but always use caution and it’s always better to be safe than sorry so if you have any symptoms go to the ER . They will initially not know what you’re talking about.
Got it, thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new