Aloha from Hawaii

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha and greetings from the islands,

As most of you are aware the Hawaiian aquarium fishery has been shut down for years while we worked through this review process. We are finally at the end stages of it after getting an accepted environmental review(EIS) affirming it in court, and clearing the path for issuing permits. We now have two meetings at the Board of Land and Natural Resources. (BLNR) we are asking all of our friends and interested parties to please take a moment and submit testimony in support of the fishery. We believe in science based fishery management and we also believe science provided by the Division of Aquatic Resources(DAR) is accurate and true….this fishery is the most managed and sustainable fishery in the State of Hawaii! It’s a model fishery that should be emulated, not banned. If you believe that resource management should be done through science and not arbitrary reasoning, please send in support. There are going to be two meetings, one this Friday, April 12th and another one in a couple months. If you have any questions or concerns, drop me a line and I’ll try my best to give you an answer and mahalo for all the support!

Affordable yellow tangs will return!

Attached is a flyer that has all the directions for submitting testimony and a link to the recent findings by DAR that will be presented on Friday that you can review and may help you craft your testimony

F0832BBE-85E8-447B-AC60-77DC675B2372.jpeg

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm one of the few who see the hypocrisy when complaining about business impact yet have a statement that will directly impact another. This is such a strange hobby.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Thank you for taking time to read my email. I'm someone who is fortunate enough to be able to visit your amazing lovely state each year. I've spent countless hours snorkeling and a occasional dive in your oceans, it is truly amazing. Im also an avid aquarist and wanted to voice my opinion on the current state of responsible collection of fish for the aquarium trade. I oppose the ban on aquarium fishery and support the managing of resources by science provided by DAR.

Something like this ?

For you lazys here's a copy and paste email and subject :)

[email protected]

Agenda item F2 and F3

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Thank you for taking time to read my email. I'm someone who is fortunate enough to be able to visit your amazing lovely state each year. I've spent countless hours snorkeling and a occasional dive in your oceans, it is truly amazing. Im also an avid aquarist and wanted to voice my opinion on the current state of responsible collection of fish for the aquarium trade. I oppose the ban on aquarium fishery and support the managing of resources by science provided by DAR.

Something like this ?

For you lazys here's a copy and paste email and subject :)

[email protected]

Agenda item F2 and F3
The document that was attached in the first post includes the findings that are being presented to the HI Board of Land and Natural Resources, for their review. Read their document and useful comments would supply support for the findings that were presented to the Board, and perhaps a brief mention that you support sustainable fisheries and hope they will agree with the report that aquarium fisheries are sustainable, (or what ever the report is suggesting?)

I have not read the report yet but will do that this week and supply a comment or two before the hearing Friday.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As most of you are aware the Hawaiian aquarium fishery has been shut down for years while we worked through this review process. We are finally at the end stages of it after getting an accepted environmental review(EIS) affirming it in court, and clearing the path for issuing permits. We now have two meetings at the Board of Land and Natural Resources. (BLNR) we are asking all of our friends and interested parties to please take a moment and submit testimony in support of the fishery. We believe in science based fishery management and we also believe science provided by the Division of Aquatic Resources(DAR) is accurate and true….this fishery is the most managed and sustainable fishery in the State of Hawaii! It’s a model fishery that should be emulated, not banned. If you believe that resource management should be done through science and not arbitrary reasoning, please send in support. There are going to be two meetings, one this Friday, April 12th and another one in a couple months. If you have any questions or concerns, drop me a line and I’ll try my best to give you an answer and mahalo for all the support!

Attached is a flyer that has all the directions for submitting testimony and a link to the recent findings by DAR that will be presented on Friday that you can review and may help you craft your testimony

I hope people listen, and take a little time to do this. It took me about 5 minutes

rahre1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been fortunate enough to spend time in Hawaiian waters for the last 40 years. I also have been reefing for nearly 25 years. There are a number of challenges in Hawaii related to reef health. I’ll share a couple observations. When I was a teenager, before entering the reefs on Maui, reef fish were visible and curious enough to approach your feet in ankle deep water (the shallow reefs had not been trampled to death yet). There were days where entire walls of Maui reef, 20’ long and 6’ high were invisible due to the hundreds of yellow tangs feeding on the rock (highway 30, mile 13!). It’s a sight I can’t describe fairly enough. It’s gone. Over the years, fewer and fewer fish, tangs include are present. As recent as January, you have to swim quite a bit to find a handful of fish.

In our world of revisionist history, the Kona Gold Coast (Google search) is named such due to the presence of luxury hotels and resorts. That is true of other “Gold Coasts” (e.g., Mazatlan), but is not the story for Kona. When I was younger, it was understood that the Gold Coast got its name from the yellow colored reefs, due to thousands of yellow tang, so bright that the coastline looked golden as your flight approached and landed in Kona. It’s not the same, today…..

I’m no saint when it comes to 100% tank/captive raised fish. I just challenge us all with setting an ecological bar higher than our government and that of the business interest. Yes, economics may solve the problem if these fish are $500+ each, but the costs to the reef and to the beauty of Hawaii is not trivial. Again, there are many challenges to Hawaiian reef health. My non-scientific observation is that the reefs are not quite ready.

Thanks to you all for allowing me to share my observations. I’m a fisherman and hunter. I found myself questioning my own behavior. I am still a bit surprised about how emotional this subject was for me. I really want a tank full of fish that remind me of Hawaii. My personal decision, given what I’ve seen, is to pass for now.

SocalReefer760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want potters leopard wrasses to be available again! Haven’t seen one for sale in way too long.

OP
OP
Kona Diver

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been fortunate enough to spend time in Hawaiian waters for the last 40 years. I also have been reefing for nearly 25 years. There are a number of challenges in Hawaii related to reef health. I’ll share a couple observations. When I was a teenager, before entering the reefs on Maui, reef fish were visible and curious enough to approach your feet in ankle deep water (the shallow reefs had not been trampled to death yet). There were days where entire walls of Maui reef, 20’ long and 6’ high were invisible due to the hundreds of yellow tangs feeding on the rock (highway 30, mile 13!). It’s a sight I can’t describe fairly enough. It’s gone. Over the years, fewer and fewer fish, tangs include are present. As recent as January, you have to swim quite a bit to find a handful of fish.

In our world of revisionist history, the Kona Gold Coast (Google search) is named such due to the presence of luxury hotels and resorts. That is true of other “Gold Coasts” (e.g., Mazatlan), but is not the story for Kona. When I was younger, it was understood that the Gold Coast got its name from the yellow colored reefs, due to thousands of yellow tang, so bright that the coastline looked golden as your flight approached and landed in Kona. It’s not the same, today…..

I’m no saint when it comes to 100% tank/captive raised fish. I just challenge us all with setting an ecological bar higher than our government and that of the business interest. Yes, economics may solve the problem if these fish are $500+ each, but the costs to the reef and to the beauty of Hawaii is not trivial. Again, there are many challenges to Hawaiian reef health. My non-scientific observation is that the reefs are not quite ready.

Thanks to you all for allowing me to share my observations. I’m a fisherman and hunter. I found myself questioning my own behavior. I am still a bit surprised about how emotional this subject was for me. I really want a tank full of fish that remind me of Hawaii. My personal decision, given what I’ve seen, is to pass for now.

Thanks for sharing . A couple points, the “Gold Coast” story is just that, a made uo story that has been wrongly attributed to yellow tangs purposefully by environmental activist and has been thoroughly debunked here in Hawaii. It’s just not true. That saying was actually attributed to the real estate development boom back in the 80’s.

Point two. I’ve been diving these water for over 20 years and have done over 15000 dives at over an hour a pop. That’s almost two years straight of my life….underwater. The reefs where there isn’t pollution, are doing great. Most of our coastline is unmolested and there isn’t any anthropogenic stressors so really it’s not accurate to say the reefs are in trouble….it’s also a stretch to suggest it’s hard to see fish. That makes me very suspicious of your statement if I’m being honest here. There’s millions of them and the numbers have steadily increased over the last 24 years since active monitoring has been implemented. To deny this is to deny science. I agree with the science. They’re seeing what I see and that’s why they have made the strong statements they’ve made. I don’t want conflict with do-gooders but I’m not gonna allow laymen to suggest a narrative that flies in the face of reality

rahre1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing . A couple points, the “Gold Coast” story is just that, a made uo story that has been wrongly attributed to yellow tangs purposefully by environmental activist and has been thoroughly debunked here in Hawaii. It’s just not true. That saying was actually attributed to the real estate development boom back in the 80’s.

Point two. I’ve been diving these water for over 20 years and have done over 15000 dives at over an hour a pop. That’s almost two years straight of my life….underwater. The reefs where there isn’t pollution, are doing great. Most of our coastline is unmolested and there isn’t any anthropogenic stressors so really it’s not accurate to say the reefs are in trouble….it’s also a stretch to suggest it’s hard to see fish. That makes me very suspicious of your statement if I’m being honest here. There’s millions of them and the numbers have steadily increased over the last 24 years since active monitoring has been implemented. To deny this is to deny science. I agree with the science. They’re seeing what I see and that’s why they have made the strong statements they’ve made. I don’t want conflict with do-gooders but I’m not gonna allow laymen to suggest a narrative that flies in the face of reality
Fair enough. Like I said, sharing experiences that drive my own personal argument for not engaging in purchasing Hawaiian fish, at this time. I’m envious of your hours underwater. My favorite “game” is to visit moray year after year that inhabit the same spots (or they fool me with imposters!). :)

OP
OP
Kona Diver

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some testimony by the most well respected ichthyologist and coral reef ecologists in the state of Hawaii:

Testimony Re: Agenda Item F.2 & F.3 April 12, 2024

The Honorable Dawn Chang, Chairperson
Board of Land and Natural Resources

We are writing to reaffirm our support for the West Hawaiʻi Aquarium fishery. In 2020 we joined our colleagues in a letter published in West Hawaiʻi Today outlining why we accept the data demonstrating that this fishery is clearly sustainable. Since that time, nothing has changed to alter that conclusion.

In this era of social media, it has become easy to affect public opinion with campaigns of disinformation, hyperbole, and untested hypotheses presented as facts. The public is often confused or unwilling to critically evaluate such statements, and too often accept false evidence on face value. The West Hawaiʻi Aquarium fishery has been under assault by such a campaign for many years, even though the populations of key aquarium species, such as the Yellow Tang and Kole, have increased over the past twenty years. The fishery has not been without fault during its 50 years in existence, but these incidents have been the exception and do not, in our experience, represent the high ethical standards that these fishermen exercise during the collection, care and handling of live fishes.

The BLNR has a rare opportunity to turn this controversy into a teachable moment for the public. You have access to decades of data methodically collected by DLNR biologists, as well as detailed reports presented every five years to the Legislature. Compare these data, analyses and conclusions to the statements made by opponents to the fishery. They have no comparable, long-term data sets and therefore resort to using anecdotes, fear, and untested hypotheses to support their agenda. At this pivotal moment, you can act in the public interest to separate facts based on data, from arguments that are data-free and therefore baseless.

Science can provide conclusive evidence supporting this fishery as sustainable. There is also ample evidence that the fishermen act ethically in their treatment of the animals from the moment they are collected until they are shipped to their destination. Philosophical, moral, and cultural arguments are mostly beyond what science can resolve. However, we feel that the fishermen and their advocates have provided an excellent review of these topics in their EIS. In addition, we find it difficult to justify shutting down a fishery that strives to keep fishes alive and in good health, while continuing to permit many of the same species to be killed and eaten. We do not contest the argument that killing fish for food is acceptable (provided it is done sustainably), but aquariums also have significant value, as evidenced by the number of aquatic biologists who were inspired by their home aquariums to pursue careers in science. It is hypocritical to claim killing fishes is moral but keeping them in aquariums is not.

Please take the time to study the data reports prepared by your staff biologists based on thousands of transects that required many, many hundreds of man-hours to collect and to analyze. They did not set out to demonstrate that the fishery is sustainable but that is clearly the conclusion after 20+ years of effort. Campaigns of disinformation should be recognized and rejected. Use your authority to establish a process whereby data and science become the basis for decisions. Permanently closing what many consider the best monitored and regulated inshore coral-reef fishery in the world, would be a precedent with significant implications for all other Hawaiʻi fisheries.

Bruce A. Carlson, Ph.D.
Richard Pyle, Ph.D.
William J. Walsh, Ph.D

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some testimony by the most well respected ichthyologist and coral reef ecologists in the state of Hawaii:

Testimony Re: Agenda Item F.2 & F.3 April 12, 2024

The Honorable Dawn Chang, Chairperson
Board of Land and Natural Resources

We are writing to reaffirm our support for the West Hawaiʻi Aquarium fishery. In 2020 we joined our colleagues in a letter published in West Hawaiʻi Today outlining why we accept the data demonstrating that this fishery is clearly sustainable. Since that time, nothing has changed to alter that conclusion.

In this era of social media, it has become easy to affect public opinion with campaigns of disinformation, hyperbole, and untested hypotheses presented as facts. The public is often confused or unwilling to critically evaluate such statements, and too often accept false evidence on face value. The West Hawaiʻi Aquarium fishery has been under assault by such a campaign for many years, even though the populations of key aquarium species, such as the Yellow Tang and Kole, have increased over the past twenty years. The fishery has not been without fault during its 50 years in existence, but these incidents have been the exception and do not, in our experience, represent the high ethical standards that these fishermen exercise during the collection, care and handling of live fishes.

The BLNR has a rare opportunity to turn this controversy into a teachable moment for the public. You have access to decades of data methodically collected by DLNR biologists, as well as detailed reports presented every five years to the Legislature. Compare these data, analyses and conclusions to the statements made by opponents to the fishery. They have no comparable, long-term data sets and therefore resort to using anecdotes, fear, and untested hypotheses to support their agenda. At this pivotal moment, you can act in the public interest to separate facts based on data, from arguments that are data-free and therefore baseless.

Science can provide conclusive evidence supporting this fishery as sustainable. There is also ample evidence that the fishermen act ethically in their treatment of the animals from the moment they are collected until they are shipped to their destination. Philosophical, moral, and cultural arguments are mostly beyond what science can resolve. However, we feel that the fishermen and their advocates have provided an excellent review of these topics in their EIS. In addition, we find it difficult to justify shutting down a fishery that strives to keep fishes alive and in good health, while continuing to permit many of the same species to be killed and eaten. We do not contest the argument that killing fish for food is acceptable (provided it is done sustainably), but aquariums also have significant value, as evidenced by the number of aquatic biologists who were inspired by their home aquariums to pursue careers in science. It is hypocritical to claim killing fishes is moral but keeping them in aquariums is not.

Please take the time to study the data reports prepared by your staff biologists based on thousands of transects that required many, many hundreds of man-hours to collect and to analyze. They did not set out to demonstrate that the fishery is sustainable but that is clearly the conclusion after 20+ years of effort. Campaigns of disinformation should be recognized and rejected. Use your authority to establish a process whereby data and science become the basis for decisions. Permanently closing what many consider the best monitored and regulated inshore coral-reef fishery in the world, would be a precedent with significant implications for all other Hawaiʻi fisheries.

Bruce A. Carlson, Ph.D.
Richard Pyle, Ph.D.
William J. Walsh, Ph.D
Very great Testimony. Hope for some good news today.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back