couple of questions!

Bubba_0161

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and have a couple of questions. I am going to have 150g tank. I want to add corals later but just want to do some fish to start off. So my first question is About how much live rock should i put in the tank and is it ok to mix live rock with the Reel reef rock? My second question is has anyone used pool filter sand for the bottom of the tank or should i use live sand.

Thanks for the help?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really comes down to your own personal taste. Many ate choosing to go dry rock with a small amount of live rock to seed the dry rock with life. In a 150, I would start with about 100 pounds and then you can add from there. I have no experience with pool filter sand but I hear really good things about Tropin Eden reef flakes.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Most pool sand is silicate based which is going to cause you problems down the road. What kind of flow you plan on having also. You don't have to use live sand either. I used Caribsea dry sand from petsmart. It is about $20 for a 30 or 40 pound bag.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello!

Yes you can mix the rock. :)

Also the pool sand I would steer clear. That being said you don't need actual "live" sand. Your live rock will seed the sand or you could get a cup of live sand from a friend or lfs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back