Sand or rock in sump?

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finally, just starting to get my pre-cooked live rock in the tank and starting to fill it. Question is about my sump. Going to have the filter socks on the left with the protein skimmer, fudge in the center and I’m wondering if I should put sand in the center or I have those pieces of Marco rock also. Or both? I’m thinking about having a cleanup crew in there also as well as some macroalgae. If that sounds right.

IMG_6255.jpeg IMG_6256.jpeg IMG_6254.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with both. I used to keep just some small pieces of rock and a pod hotel. I then added sand, snails, clams, gorg an a few other items. It’s like a secret mini reef now.

IMG_7368.jpeg
IMG_8064.jpeg

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand in the sump has many benefits IMO. The more surface space for bacteria to colonize the better, and an empty sump is just wasted space for potential colonies of bacteria and other micro-biomes. Sand will help creating safe environments for pods and other micro-CUC organisms and more sand will help with pH of the tank. Also looking at your sump you have a perfect spot for a small refugium, so add that to the list of bonuses mentioned!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back