crab ID

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught this one, but not sure if it is a gorilla. Any ideas?

IMG_20220402_130405058.jpg

IMG_20220402_130237809.jpg

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally lightfoot crabs have a very squashed look with sort of pointy edges (like the edges folded when they were squashed), they also have pretty twitchy, jumpy movement sliding around the rocks and somewhat different color pattern as well as smaller, symmetrical claws.

While I can tell you it's not a sally lightfoot or or other normally sold reef crab, I can't tell you anything really beyond that. My and many's approach to unknown crabs is to just banish them to the sump - they can live their lives without risking your corals, fish, or other inverts.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I have it in a tupper right now. If it makes it through the weekend, I might banish it to the AIO return chamber (IM Nuvo 10g). There is already one gorilla living there that I can't fish out (no idea how it got there!!). Maybe that would just result in a fight to the death... Otherwise, smash and feed to my other crabs (pom pom, anemone crab and green porcelain).

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back