Crab ID

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fella came with live rock and was living under it. However, for the past month or so it has been roaming around during day time and got pretty big.

Might be gorilla crab but I really don’t know. Catching him was surprisingly easy.

IMG_1083.jpeg

IMG_1084.jpeg
IMG_1085.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a ruby mithrax crab. It is functionally the same as an emerald crab with the same caveats. Usually a helpful herbivore but the big ones can go rogue occasionally eating coral/small critters and the females are usually nicer than the males. Since you have it out and can check the abdomen that's the easiest way to tell the males from the females. Pic attached
1000004875.jpg

OP
OP
Daenion

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a ruby mithrax crab. It is functionally the same as an emerald crab with the same caveats. Usually a helpful herbivore but the big ones can go rogue occasionally eating coral/small critters and the females are usually nicer than the males. Since you have it out and can check the abdomen that's the easiest way to tell the males from the females. Pic attached
1000004875.jpg
Thank you very much. It is a male. Would it bother BTA?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a BTA I'd say probably not. They tend to prefer the tastiest of the soft coral and fleshy lps. If you have any super small fish could maybe go rogue, but asl long as there's plenty of algae and if it gets MASSIVE you consider removing it I don't imagine you'd have much issue, but I'm partially team you can never fully trust a crab.

Ultimately it's up to you. They're interesting creatures that can be mildly beneficial in the tank but do come with some low-medium risk in the very long term for small fish and certain coral

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful. I've never seen an emerald touch a BTA. I have seen them with torch polyps in their mouth and picking on zoas or other corals. That's usually an immediate dismissal, although at that point they're usually not doing their job anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back