Emerald crab???

Dexter922

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 20, 2023
Messages
34
Reaction score
13
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crab?

I purchased 4 small emerald crabs months back, and just came across this big boy in my tank. I was in shock at his size already. But not really sure what type of crab he is or if he’s reef safe.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

IMG_3829.jpeg IMG_3826.jpeg IMG_3828.jpeg IMG_3827.jpeg IMG_3826.jpeg
 
Emerald crab?

I purchased 4 small emerald crabs months back, and just came across this big boy in my tank. I was in shock at his size already. But not really sure what type of crab he is or if he’s reef safe.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

IMG_3829.jpeg IMG_3826.jpeg IMG_3828.jpeg IMG_3827.jpeg IMG_3826.jpeg
That’s a redemerald crab Gorgeous. I’ve always had the green, 2 now, but never came across one for sale. If I did I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.
 
That’s a redemerald crab Gorgeous. I’ve always had the green, 2 now, but never came across one for sale. If I did I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.
Wow. Ok. Yeah, never heard of one.
And all I was picturing was it eating all my corals.
So I’m safe to return him to his home.
 
Wow. Ok. Yeah, never heard of one.
And all I was picturing was it eating all my corals.
So I’m safe to return him to his home.
Yes no different than the green ones only color.
 
In case you want to know, that’s a male.
Oh I didn't even notice but you're totally right!
How can you tell?
Love learning something new.

The underside of male crabs has that narrow long middle section, while females are sort of a fat rounded pyramid.
 
I did this a long time ago, when I was hearing that females were better inhabitants than males. Never noticed a difference. If you look at the belly males have what is described as a light house shape on the abdomen. Females don’t and have a much wider abdomen ( for eggs if I recall). Google sexing emerald crabs, they have drawings.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new