Unidentified TBS crab

SnappyShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2025
Messages
33
Reaction score
17
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a very small, flat crab among the hitch hikers in my recent package of TBS live rock. It’s pretty pale in color and has a half moon shaped carapace. It seems to have large back legs and smaller legs as it gets towards its claws. It doesn’t look like anything on the TBS hitch hiker guide and I was hoping folks could help identify it or give any clue as to whether it would be safe in a nano reef display (knowing full well better safe than sorry). Currently, it’s residing in the little sample cup but if not reef safe, I’ll dump it back into my TBS hitch hiker/silt bucket.

I have some pics but they aren’t great as the crab is tiny (smaller than my pinky nail).



IMG_6679.jpeg

IMG_6678.jpeg

IMG_6676.jpeg

IMG_6675.jpeg
 
If I had a guess I’d say a baby gorilla crab. They are super common on these orders. I’m guessing here but the best ones to ask is TBS so I’ll tag them here.

@LiverockRocks what do you think?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new