Mysterious crab found at night ID???

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking around my tank at night and found this weird looking guy. I tried to remove him after the video, he hunkered down to the rock as I tried to grab him before eventually running away. I’ve had TBS rock and sand added to my system and KP aquatics live rock too. Probably came from one of those sources? Any idea for an ID on this guy? Probably going to try and setup a trap, not in a hurry. He’s probably been in there for a while and hasn’t seemed to do anything bad… just yet.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video doesn’t work but that tbs rock is known for gorilla crabs. Might want to look those up and see if it’s a match
I don’t think it’s a gorilla, I have loads of those in my sump rn. This one is white and bumpy with some red dots. Really strange looking, can’t find anything online matching the description. I’ll see if I can get some screenshots from the video I took.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t get another shot besides this and he has since run off somewhere in my tank.
3D5EBF49-4EA4-4E86-B729-48941416ED64.png
28F81229-61D8-44EB-AAF4-13E21550F42C.png

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get the video on YouTube so we can see it?
The video really only showed his legs slightly moving, ill try and get another video tonight if I can find him again. Not sure about the freshwater dip as the rock he is on has a lot of coral encrusted on it towards the top.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video really only showed his legs slightly moving, ill try and get another video tonight if I can find him again. Not sure about the freshwater dip as the rock he is on has a lot of coral encrusted on it towards the top.
Coral will survive a few min in freshwater

Just dip long enough to annoy crab and have him come out then use tongs or a thin screwdriver of something to flick him into the water. Then put rock back in tank, and get him in a cup of saltwater. Take some photos and put him in the sump

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back