Crab, shrimp, invert compatibility in 15 gallon AIO

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I haven't had a marine tank in many years, and my last tank was a 125 gallon. I recently started an IM Nuvo Fusion 15 gallon AIO and I'm considering stocking options.

Above even the corals or fish, my wife and I realized that we missed the inverts and critters the most. Our tank was started with rock and sand from TBS, which came with a ruby Mithrax crab, as well as a few porcelain crab, hermits, and snail hitchhikers. I would like to place an order through Reef Cleaners for some more critters, but I'd like to ask for some advice on compatibility, especially since this is such a small tank.

I know that no crab can ever be fully trusted, but some are certainly more peaceful than others.

In addition to our Mithrax crab, I really want a fire shrimp.

We'd love another green Mithrax crab, if that's possible.

We are considering a pom pom crab or crabs.

We would also order a few more small hermits and snails.

Would these critters all be compatible in such a small tank?

Thanks very much for your help!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing you’ve mentioned is specifically prone to squabbling, I think you should be good!
Great! I thought so, but wanted to be sure, especially with the tiny tank size. Thank you for your help!

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermits might take out your snails but otherwise that seems good.

Just don't add any other lysmata shrimp (peppermint shrimp, skunk cleaners, etc) after the fire shrimp because they can get territorial with other members of the same genus added after they've established a home in a confined area. Fire shrimp are usually otherwise very chill and polite with other animals though even other crustaceans like crabs.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I haven't had a marine tank in many years, and my last tank was a 125 gallon. I recently started an IM Nuvo Fusion 15 gallon AIO and I'm considering stocking options.

Above even the corals or fish, my wife and I realized that we missed the inverts and critters the most. Our tank was started with rock and sand from TBS, which came with a ruby Mithrax crab, as well as a few porcelain crab, hermits, and snail hitchhikers. I would like to place an order through Reef Cleaners for some more critters, but I'd like to ask for some advice on compatibility, especially since this is such a small tank.

I know that no crab can ever be fully trusted, but some are certainly more peaceful than others.

My IM 15 has two clowns, a coral banded shrimp, a bid emerald crab, a small turbo snail, tiger conch, hermits and a margarita snail! Yours looks fine to me :)

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM 15 has two clowns, a coral banded shrimp, a bid emerald crab, a small turbo snail, tiger conch, hermits and a margarita snail! Yours looks fine to me :)
Great, thank you for your help! Can I ask if you have corals too? I seem to remember coral banded shrimp being not reef safe. Am I mistaken? If so, I want one! I had one in a saltwater tank when I was a kid, super cool shrimper! Thanks again!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thank you for your help! Can I ask if you have corals too? I seem to remember coral banded shrimp being not reef safe. Am I mistaken? If so, I want one! I had one in a saltwater tank when I was a kid, super cool shrimper! Thanks again!
Um I honestly never looked to see if they were coral safe to be honest, just assumed he was cause he is a shrimp! But yes I have zoas, xenia, leathers and a few others in with him. Only time they get upset is if he walks on them but he leaves them alone from what Ive seen! Ive heard them being more not small fish safe than messing with corals. My clowns are still small and he leaves them be so from my experience with him I say he is in my opinion. He had a female, she died in a bad molt unfortunately but they got along just fine

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um I honestly never looked to see if they were coral safe to be honest, just assumed he was cause he is a shrimp! But yes I have zoas, xenia, leathers and a few others in with him. Only time they get upset is if he walks on them but he leaves them alone from what Ive seen! Ive heard them being more not small fish safe than messing with corals. My clowns are still small and he leaves them be so from my experience with him I say he is in my opinion. He had a female, she died in a bad molt unfortunately but they got along just fine
Great to hear, thank you for your help!

Savanna’sReefAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Most inverts are compatible as long as you give them places to hide and enough food. I have a 15g AIO with only inverts. Ive got numerous hard and soft corals, feather duster, nassarious and trochus snails, various critters like asterinas, polychates, planria and little crustaceans, a hermit crab and a sexy anemone shrimp - which happen to be besties. I also had an arrow crab in there for like 4 months before he got too big and I had to rehome him. Even with his massive size, they all still got along.

Always just monitor their behavior. If one starts to get aggressive, give more food, but if that doesn't work, say goodbye. Most stores will let you return animals at least for store credit. Just explain the situation and they are usually understanding :)

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most inverts are compatible as long as you give them places to hide and enough food. I have a 15g AIO with only inverts. Ive got numerous hard and soft corals, feather duster, nassarious and trochus snails, various critters like asterinas, polychates, planria and little crustaceans, a hermit crab and a sexy anemone shrimp - which happen to be besties. I also had an arrow crab in there for like 4 months before he got too big and I had to rehome him. Even with his massive size, they all still got along.

Always just monitor their behavior. If one starts to get aggressive, give more food, but if that doesn't work, say goodbye. Most stores will let you return animals at least for store credit. Just explain the situation and they are usually understanding :)
Thank you for your reply! I get that a lot of this is food driven, keep them well fed and they are more likely to play nicely together. My last reef tank was years ago and a 125 gallon, so these small tanks are kind of new to me. Thanks again!

Savanna’sReefAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I get that a lot of this is food driven, keep them well fed and they are more likely to play nicely together. My last reef tank was years ago and a 125 gallon, so these small tanks are kind of new to me. Thanks again!
I totally get it. I went from a 50g to the 15g! Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back