Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191021_102211.jpg

My haul from RAP!
Reboot here we come!
Thank you so much to Real Reef Rock
This stuff looks awesome!
Nice, looking forward to see how it does for you.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think painting the bottom with the glitter paint is an option, just saying, LOL!!!
That would look really cool!

I think the aqua scape will look something like this ;)
52A18B6D-C948-40A3-BAB8-A9B7B06F9C91.jpeg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would look really cool!

I think the aqua scape will look something like this ;)
52A18B6D-C948-40A3-BAB8-A9B7B06F9C91.jpeg
Hey man! Spoiler alert!
That picture also shows my horrible taste in movies ;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo @Crabs McJones Did you see Frost Corals at RAP?
I love his nems and coral selections. Hoping y'all left some good corals for us this coming weekend.
Yup! They were a few booths over from us

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo @Crabs McJones Did you see Frost Corals at RAP?
I love his nems and coral selections. Hoping y'all left some good corals for us this coming weekend.
He’s got nice stuff I have bought from him at our local swap. My black widow came from him :)

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s got nice stuff I have bought from him at our local swap. My black widow came from him :)
I was drooling over a beautiful colorado sunburst this past spring at the local frag swap, didn't have the cash or an established tank yet.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
I noticed you don’t clean the motor of the gyres. Is that to increase their lifespan, because people say vinegar messes with them?
The pump housing has no moving parts. And its just coraline algae that doesnt effect operation at all. I take the blades and housing off and clean them, but the shell doesnt seem to be affected.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering a reboot with different rock here as well...

Is that Real Reef Rock already cured with bacteria, or is it completely dry rock?

How are you keeping all your livestock alive during your reboot?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering a reboot with different rock here as well...

Is that Real Reef Rock already cured with bacteria, or is it completely dry rock?

How are you keeping all your livestock alive during your reboot?
The real reef rock is ran through a 12 week freshwater cure, and then a 12 to 16 week saltwater cure. The rock was damp when I took it out of the box. I kept quite a few pieces of my old rock that didn't have any coral on it and stuck it in the sump until this rock fully seeded. But they claim that the rock is biologically active. And hasn't caused any ammonia or nutrient spikes.
From their site, quite a good read and very interesting;

Real Reef is made of 100% natural eco friendly green materials. Materials composed of the same mineral building blocks as coral skeleton live rock, without the environmental damage to the World’s Coral reefs. Real Reef is composed of several different types of mineral aggregates and sand. Some are very similar to high end media used in modern Calcium Reactor dosing systems. Real Reef is high in Calcium Carbonate, with amounts in the 82-85% range. Unlike coral skeleton which is primarily Calcium Carbonate, Real Reef contains a variety of essential trace elements and minerals. This remaining 15-18% consists of minerals and trace elements such as: Magnesium, Strontium and Iron.

Inside-Real-Reef-Rock-1.jpg

Inside-Real-Reef-Rock-2.jpg

It takes over 13 steps to manufacturer Real Reef Rock and every piece is unique and different, but not ugly! No two pieces are the same, just like Mother Nature! Real Reefs multiple ingredients are bonded together with natural calcium based binders; we do not use any chemical or synthetic epoxies or glue. It is through this labor intensive proprietary Patent Pending process that makes Real Reef mimic some of the best coral Live Rock shapes the aquarium industry has seen!

Real-Reef-in-Hand-1.jpg

Real-Reef-Tank-1.jpg

Real Reef’s beautiful shades of Purple, Pink and Red come from a water based non-toxic natural pigment. These proprietary pigments are injected and applied through several techniques and processes. Every piece of Real Reef is hand made by our Artisans here at our U.S. facility with pride and creativity. Real Reef is made, grown in the U.S.A and always will be!

Once the Real Reef Rocks are created, they go through a pre grow-out preparation. This pre grow-out freshwater curing process lasts for a minimum of 12 weeks. Once the rock has completed the curing process, it is then transferred to saltwater grow-out for a minimum of 12-16 weeks. Our marine grow-out facility consists of large 3,000 and 10,000 gallon fiberglass raceways in our climate controlled greenhouses. It is in these filtered closed system raceways that Real Reef becomes a biologically active aquarium rock. It is from these grow-out raceway systems that Real Reef is prepared, packed and shipped to distributors and retailers worldwide.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real reef rock is ran through a 12 week freshwater cure, and then a 12 to 16 week saltwater cure. The rock was damp when I took it out of the box. I kept quite a few pieces of my old rock that didn't have any coral on it and stuck it in the sump until this rock fully seeded. But they claim that the rock is biologically active. And hasn't caused any ammonia or nutrient spikes.
From their site, quite a good read and very interesting;

Real Reef is made of 100% natural eco friendly green materials. Materials composed of the same mineral building blocks as coral skeleton live rock, without the environmental damage to the World’s Coral reefs. Real Reef is composed of several different types of mineral aggregates and sand. Some are very similar to high end media used in modern Calcium Reactor dosing systems. Real Reef is high in Calcium Carbonate, with amounts in the 82-85% range. Unlike coral skeleton which is primarily Calcium Carbonate, Real Reef contains a variety of essential trace elements and minerals. This remaining 15-18% consists of minerals and trace elements such as: Magnesium, Strontium and Iron.

Inside-Real-Reef-Rock-1.jpg

Inside-Real-Reef-Rock-2.jpg

It takes over 13 steps to manufacturer Real Reef Rock and every piece is unique and different, but not ugly! No two pieces are the same, just like Mother Nature! Real Reefs multiple ingredients are bonded together with natural calcium based binders; we do not use any chemical or synthetic epoxies or glue. It is through this labor intensive proprietary Patent Pending process that makes Real Reef mimic some of the best coral Live Rock shapes the aquarium industry has seen!

Real-Reef-in-Hand-1.jpg

Real-Reef-Tank-1.jpg

Real Reef’s beautiful shades of Purple, Pink and Red come from a water based non-toxic natural pigment. These proprietary pigments are injected and applied through several techniques and processes. Every piece of Real Reef is hand made by our Artisans here at our U.S. facility with pride and creativity. Real Reef is made, grown in the U.S.A and always will be!

Once the Real Reef Rocks are created, they go through a pre grow-out preparation. This pre grow-out freshwater curing process lasts for a minimum of 12 weeks. Once the rock has completed the curing process, it is then transferred to saltwater grow-out for a minimum of 12-16 weeks. Our marine grow-out facility consists of large 3,000 and 10,000 gallon fiberglass raceways in our climate controlled greenhouses. It is in these filtered closed system raceways that Real Reef becomes a biologically active aquarium rock. It is from these grow-out raceway systems that Real Reef is prepared, packed and shipped to distributors and retailers worldwide.
Sweet! Cant wait to see things grow in! I got some of the tonga like stuff from them, came in damp with news paper. Glad you are having a good experience with it so far. Makes me feel much better about my purchase and my reboot when i get home. (Blasted vermitids)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back