Crabs in a 20 gallon tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter elkman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

elkman

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2025
Messages
80
Reaction score
33
Location
medfield
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I have pom-pom crab, porcelain crab, and possibly a spider decorator or emerald in the same tank? If so, how many? I also plan to get a few Scarlet hermit crabs.
 
Could I have pom-pom crab, porcelain crab, and possibly a spider decorator or emerald in the same tank? If so, how many? I also plan to get a few Scarlet hermit crabs.
Following
 
Would the dec be to aggressive or something?
Not necessarily, but they are a rather large crab and it might compete with other crabs for rock space. Keep in mind decorator crabs are best for established systems as they like to frag soft corals and the likes to use as camouflage. I would wait until you have established colonies so that the occasional fragging wouldn't bother them much. If your corals are not grown out the decorator crab might just end up killing them.
 
Not necessarily, but they are a rather large crab and it might compete with other crabs for rock space. Keep in mind decorator crabs are best for established systems as they like to frag soft corals and the likes to use as camouflage. I would wait until you have established colonies so that the occasional fragging wouldn't bother them much. If your corals are not grown out the decorator crab might just end up killing them.
Yeah, I don’t have corals yet, but I plan to get them, would I be able to get one after I have a well established amount of corals?
 
Yes, I would wait a full year or so for your corals to grow out. What kind of corals do you have?
I do not have any corals yet, I actually don’t have anything yet my tank is still cycling lol. I was just trying to get an idea of what I was putting in the tank. But I do plan to get corals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
I do not have any corals yet, I actually don’t have anything yet my tank is still cycling lol. I was just trying to get an idea of what I was putting in the tank. But I do plan to get corals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, sorry forgot you didn't have any yet. Decorator crabs like to frag soft corals (primarilly mushrooms, zoas, and leathers). Soft corals are very easy and forgiving and only need low light to grow and they grow relatively fast. You don't need to worry about the Decorator crab going after other corals too much. Just wait until you have large soft corals that won't mind having a few chunks taken out of them.
 
Oh yeah, sorry forgot you didn't have any yet. Decorator crabs like to frag soft corals (primarilly mushrooms, zoas, and leathers). Soft corals are very easy and forgiving and only need low light to grow and they grow relatively fast. You don't need to worry about the Decorator crab going after other corals too much. Just wait until you have large soft corals that won't mind having a few chunks taken out of them.
Thanks, do you have any suggestion on a light to get like what wattage, because I have not bought a light yet.
 
Thanks, one other thing do you think with the Pom poms and porclin do you think they would be compatible with a emerald
Yes, dont think you'd have an issue with them. Emerald crabs are scavengers while porcelain crabs and pom pom crabs mainly filter feed. Pom pom crabs use their anemones to grab particulates out of the water column and porcelain crabs use their fan-like appendages to do the same. There shouldn't be any competition between them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new