Crab's is about ready to throw in the towel.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say what’s wrong but fwiw, after an issue (possibly your salt) it takes a while for corals to recover or stop deteriorating even after an issue has been resolved.
A way to tell if you have an ongoing problem would be if you could get a new frag from somebody and see how it’s doing.

your existing corals are probably not a good proxy at this stage.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say what’s wrong but fwiw, after an issue (possibly your salt) it takes a while for corals to recover or stop deteriorating even after an issue has been resolved.
A way to tell if you have an ongoing problem would be if you could get a new frag from somebody and see how it’s doing.

Once stressed, they are vulnerable to any changes. I'm experiencing another bacterial bloom at the moment. My uv is down still because the bulb I ordered online is a bad bulb. Going to vacuum my sand now to see if it will knock it down. Corals are not happy.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the AB+ schedule ever since I got the lights which was back in may (I think) And I am dosing BRS 2 Part Soda ash and Calcium carbonate
Ok I have ran AI lights for over 3 years now, imho if i ever raised the UV and violet to the levels of ab+ all my ish would die in a month ( I have been reef keeping for 30 yrs + ) , it copies the program for the most notorious coral killing lights ever ..... and please take in to account the info on your ionic balance , in a SPS tank youll really notice it hardcore like a wall... like you are. Its kinda crazy but my suggestion would be to do a Massive water change almost 100% if you could, so you have a benchmark and you have correct saturation(with trace). I suspect its a combo of to much UV and 450nm 660nm spike and not enough nutrient in the water to uptake , lower lights a bit and flow till you get your water straightened out. Also check the dkh , like the previous poster says , alot of salt mixes HOT some 13 some 11 I would say 8.8-9.5 is ideal for nutrient uptake ,assuming they are in the water at the levels needed , hence some people think corals stop growing when you change water alot of peoples do (11-13) until 2 months later when it falls to 9 ish lol . The dkh of the mix is why I use the salt i do to begin with , if you check back on posts years back .I have faith you can curb this, if things are alive at all its doable !

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once stressed, they are vulnerable to any changes. I'm experiencing another bacterial bloom at the moment. My uv is down still because the bulb I ordered online is a bad bulb. Going to vacuum my sand now to see if it will knock it down. Corals are not happy.
10 micron socks and kz’s coral snow will remedy that in less than 12 hours

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats another weird thing, I have CRAZY polyp extension (usually an indication the corals are happy from what i've read) but still loosing tissue.
This is my culture shock acropora, taken this afternoon while I was home on lunch break
20191002_122705.jpg

Crazy PE but you can see the STN on the tips starting.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats another weird thing, I have CRAZY polyp extension (usually an indication the corals are happy from what i've read) but still loosing tissue.
This is my culture shock acropora, taken this afternoon while I was home on lunch break
20191002_122705.jpg

Looks like alkalinity burn to me, Zach.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191002_122705.jpg

One last hurrah?

I’m kidding. I’d say that whatever happened may have been fleeting if that coral is looking like that.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over what time period did you change over to new salt?

The one time I switched, I did it by doing 10% water changes weekly. Doing it that way, it takes 3 months until you’ve replaced all the water with the new salt.

Anything faster than that is likely to cause things to react poorly. If that’s the case at the moment stability is the best thing you can do.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thing i forgot to mention, another reason I got rid of the mixing station was the saltwater barrel (even after cleaning it out) smelled like cat pee. Thats the best way I can describe it. And the tank water smelled like it as well. So I thought maybe ammonia was somehow getting into the tank. But i've read other posts of users making the same statement with no ill effects. Still got rid of the mixing station anyway as a precaution. Again i went back to my white food safe buckets.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over what time period did you change over to new salt?

The one time I switched, I did it by doing 10% water changes weekly. Doing it that way, it takes 3 months until you’ve replaced all the water with the new salt.

Anything faster than that is likely to cause things to react poorly. If that’s the case at the moment stability is the best thing you can do.
Immediate change. If there was something in the salt mix I didn't want to keep using it.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immediate change. If there was something in the salt mix I didn't want to keep using it.

Well that can definitely burn acros and trigger STN and even RTN. Running carbon won’t hurt, but I think you’ll want to try and keep everything as stable as possible. I’d also stop doing all water changes for as long as you can, and dose to keep your parameters stable.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that can definitely burn acros and trigger STN and even RTN. Running carbon won’t hurt, but I think you’ll want to try and keep everything as stable as possible. I’d also stop doing all water changes for as long as you can, and dose to keep your parameters stable.

Not to say there wasn’t a problem with the Fitz salt that needed changing, but the rapid switch I’m sure added on top of any other problem.

The one thing I’ve learnes the hard way in this hobby... go very slowly... like your “hunting wabbits” ;)

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clue about why the Coral Beauty has passed? Maybe it has eaten some bad bacteria/Algea? How long after Beauty passed did it start to crash. Theese are the only Questions I have observed not being asked. Just a thought. I wish you luck on this. I will follow thread

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clue about why the Coral Beauty has passed? Maybe it has eaten some bad bacteria/Algea? How long after Beauty passed did it start to crash. Theese are the only Questions I have observed not being asked. Just a thought. I wish you luck on this. I will follow thread
I think it was hiding from bullying.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back