Crab's is about ready to throw in the towel.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly you can't go anywhere until you hit a 100,000 reaction score. I'm sure its been said to death already but hook up with a local reefer/reefing buddy and pull your favourite corals out to save them. If you can't do that, setup a fresh QT tank and use LFS salt water to fill it (in case your RODI or salt mix is the root problem) to buy you some time

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems after moving from Racine, where they don't use chloramines, to Milwaukee Co. which does. I can't prove that the chloramines were a contributing factor but the timeline fit. Things started to improve after I changed to using carbon blocks designed to remove the chloramines. Now I test to make sure the carbon blocks aren't at the end of thier life and letting chloramines through.

If it were me I wouldnt even bother with talking to the city or county I would just test. It's cheap and easy
I never realized you were that close to me! :)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly you can't go anywhere until you hit a 100,000 reaction score. I'm sure its been said to death already but hook up with a local reefer/reefing buddy and pull your favourite corals out to save them. If you can't do that, setup a fresh QT tank and use LFS salt water to fill it (in case your RODI or salt mix is the root problem) to buy you some time
Lol! At least I'll have gotten them legitimately;) yes I'm looking at you @HotRocks ;Shifty

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should check out my post of corals going down it took me 3 months to get 5 or 6 people to reply ..lol I must not be as cool as you . Anyways I was having similar problems , but no algae or cyano. I ditched red sea blue bucket and switched to tropic marin pro via a couple big water changes and seeing improvements. It was weird because it only affected sps, hammers and torches were fine . I would lose the tips then it would slowly die . This is after , stable alk, great icp results , good par numbers..it was frustrating. I ran a small uv for a couple weeks because eh just didnt know what to.do . It sounds like you're have similar problems. If your icp comes back good , try switching salt( I was using blue bucket too, is it the issue probably not ) , do a big 50% water change and run a uv

FishyDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved in March 30th, the tank was up and fully operational within a day. The corals and everything was looking amazing up until a few weeks ago. Great color, great growth.
Have you recently painted any rooms, remodeled anything or brought new furniture into the house that could be off gassing?

Realposition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats another weird thing, I have CRAZY polyp extension (usually an indication the corals are happy from what i've read) but still loosing tissue.
This is my culture shock acropora, taken this afternoon while I was home on lunch break
20191002_122705.jpg

Crazy PE but you can see the STN on the tips starting.

Unfortunately polyp extension isn't really a great indicator of Coral health. I've had polyps out on acros while tissue was just falling off. I haven't seen it asked yet, any bio media like marinepure? I had an issue with high aluminum. Everything was growing fine then one day I started losing tissue even while polyps were fully extended. Some acros were affected and some were totally fine. I ended up doing a bunch of 30% water changes while I waited for an icp to come back. By the time I got the test results the bleeding had stopped and things were getting back to normal but the test did show high aluminum. Could have been a coincidence but that was the only thing that was out of line.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently painted any rooms, remodeled anything or brought new furniture into the house that could be off gassing?
We did repaint my daughters room. But it's way on the other side of the house. It was earlier in the summer so all the windows were open. So I dont think anything with that wound do it. Plus with the amount of water I've changed, whatever may have been in there has been taken out. No new furnature. Thanks for the suggestions though :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of sand are you using. If it's black take a magnet over it. If it picks any up you know you got metal in it. May be the problem.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of sand are you using. If it's black take a magnet over it. If it picks any up you know you got metal in it. May be the problem.
White sand. Dry sand

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We did repaint my daughters room. But it's way on the other side of the house. It was earlier in the summer so all the windows were open. So I dont think anything with that wound do it. Plus with the amount of water I've changed, whatever may have been in there has been taken out. No new furnature. Thanks for the suggestions though :)
As many are trying to offer possibilities, take a look at your clamps to see if any rust- could be leaching oxides, iron and brass content causing heavy metal counts which ICP will pinpoint. Also many municipalities are with cooler weather starting to add flouride and chloramine to water. I would do a TDS ON WATER and also check ph at the tap

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many are trying to offer possibilities, take a look at your clamps to see if any rust- could be leaching oxides, iron and brass content causing heavy metal counts which ICP will pinpoint. Also many municipalities are with cooler weather starting to add flouride and chloramine to water. I would do a TDS ON WATER and also check ph at the tap
No clamps. RO/DI has been consistently putting put 0 tds water.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not rely on 0 TDS, test that water and be sure. When I struggle with a project, be it a car, machine, computer or reef, I stop and go back to the basics. I know it sounds too simple but usually works. Assume nothing, verify everything, twice. Good luck.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

nritter69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs I'm wondering if u have some extreme source of nitrates entering the water. 10 on nitrates is good but not if u have both cyanobacteria and long hair algae both of those eat nitrates like crazy. If u had only 1 of those nuisances you should be reading 0 nitrates but the fact that you have both cyanobacteria an long hair algae and your still reading 10 on nitrates even after all those water changes is somewhat disturbing you really should have 0 nitrates

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back