Crack in Glass

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 months ago I noticed a line of dried up water that had run down from the top corner of the end of one of my 180s. It had not reached the bottom before it dried up. When I looked at the top of the glass I discovered a small (maybe 10 mm) crack in the glass. Not knowing what to do I did nothing to see if it would not get any worse since it was not leaking.

Somewhat in denial I measured it every week and the crack was slowly advancing but not leaking except for a very small amount of salt creep directly on the crack. I was hoping that it would stop running but last week the crack has advanced to about 110 mm and I was dreading a catastrophic tank failure when the whole end glass would crack open. I drained it and started thinking about replacing the tank.

Yesterday I thought about making a gigantic patch on the end of the tank. Since the end glass is inside of the front and back glass, the edges of the front and back glass are flush with the surface of the cracked end glass. I wonder if I could get a piece of glass the same size as the end that would overlap the front and back glass edges, several tubes of silicone and plaster it on the end of the tank? The yellow line in the pic is about where the crack is.

I welcome all comments. Hopefully someone with a lot more experience with this will advise me what I should do.
Inked20200106_155308_LI.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A patch is in essence a bandaid and I would not rely on a patch for remedy. A pain it sounds like but proper remedy is to lower water to lower third. Cut away the silicone with razor, clean area of silicone well, clean are with rubbing alcohol, apply New aquarium sealant such as Aqueon and allow to dry 24-36 hrs using a generous bead and application of silicone.
Water test for leaks using freshwater- not salt water for 8-12 hrs to verify no seepage or leak.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the crack in the seam/joint between two panels or one of the glass glass panels? is it the smaller end panel?

if so you could replace the end panel.

justa thought.

Worth at most .02

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crack is in the end glass. I think I would have to completely disassemble and reassemble the tank to do that. I'd rather just replace the tank.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the entire tank. Otherwise you will always look at that area every time you go to the tank which will get old - as I'm sure it already has. Or maybe this is an opportunity to downsize. : )

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The opportunity to downsize has already been bouncing around inside of my head.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crack is in the end glass. I think I would have to completely disassemble and reassemble the tank to do that. I'd rather just replace the tank.
understand.
But if you can get glass fit to the end all you would have to do is silcone in that new pane right beside the old pane. just leave the old pane in place.

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm thinking about now is clean all the silicone from the inside end surfaces, slather silicone all over the inside of the cracked end glass, and press a new pane in place on the inside.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my used 75 gallon, I noticed that the overflow was on the end that would be seen most often. So I did kind of what you're thinking. I got a 12" x 12" piece of glass and almost covered it in silicone to cover the bulkhead holes in the bottom. Then I re drilled the holes in the right hand side. It's not exactly the same as your crack but I'm covering 2 large holes on the bottom and its held for 1 1/2 years. Please don't judge me lol.

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K&M glass on Seminole dr custom cut 2 pieces for me. I had them make glass tops for my 75 gal, which I only used for a while :confused:. I thought it was a good idea....but it wasn’t;Blackeye
However, they did a great job, even with the cutouts I wanted.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed a 6 inch crack in a 40 breeder by placing glass on the outside of the tank wall like you are considering.
I silicone over the entire crack and then covered the glass piece in silicone and stuck it over the crack. It worked great.

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is empty now. I've pretty much decided to just make it a terrarium. I'm taking it as a sign that it's time to downsize.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back