Cracking Radion G5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These lights are already $840 each. How much more?

If by sending out parts and making us repair the brand new lights is making this right, I'm going to disagree.

I am sure you will have an option. For anyone handy with tools it would be far easier to just get the new cover and replace it (30 minute job) versus having to send them back and wait on a replacement. What are those people going to use for lights while they wait? Also do you really want to go through the software setup procedure again? I am pretty sure they will just be replacing what comes in with the previous batch that was fixed and reset.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure you will have an option. For anyone handy with tools it would be far easier to just get the new cover and replace it (30 minute job) versus having to send them back and wait on a replacement. What are those people going to use for lights while they wait? Also do you really want to go through the setup procedure again?

worse part is I have to pull the hood and all of the cabling from my control cabinet. I guess it may be time to try Orphek or T5’s with Orphek bars

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am sure you will have an option. For anyone handy with tools it would be far easier to just get the new cover and replace it (30 minute job) versus having to send them back and wait on a replacement. What are those people going to use for lights while they wait? Also do you really want to go through the software setup procedure again? I am pretty sure they will just be replacing what comes in with the previous batch that was fixed and reset.
Since this was right out of the box, no installation was done. My T5's are still going strong.
Once I open the case, is this going to be a warranty issue going forward if something else comes up?
I am handy with tools, by why do I need to fix something new?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am sure you will have an option. For anyone handy with tools it would be far easier to just get the new cover and replace it (30 minute job) versus having to send them back and wait on a replacement.

If this was $150 generic black box fixtures, sure maybe. But since these are top of the line premium fixtures, they should be replacing them without any drama.
They did this with the L1 issues. ( For me it was twice).

Maybe some of the other issues have me spooked too.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to keep the vendor out of it. He is a small business and barely able to keep his head above water.
This IMO is a manufacturing issue and should be dealt with ETM.
I've owned ETM products for a decade and have defended them as a stand up business.
I too was a part of the L1 issues a while back and it was handled with class.

The email telling me I had to repair the lights myself wasn't.
They going to send you a Torx bit too? lol Most people don't have a set of Torx bits. Or maybe they just send you a couple tubes of JB Weld...smh

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was $150 generic black box fixtures, sure maybe. But since these are top of the line premium fixtures, they should be replacing them without any drama.
They did this with the L1 issues. ( For me it was twice).

Maybe some of the other issues have me spooked too.
I said it before and I say it again, the black box exterior build is like a tank. It can be thrown from the North Pole and it still wouldn’t break. It won’t break your bank either

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brings up another question... so lets say they go with saying we will send parts and you do it yourself. I imagine a pretty simple matter to replace the cases but are they warranty sealed? i.e. you open it warranty void. I have taken apart and fixed a lot of stuff but other than owning a M2 pump and a couple MP40's I have not had to deal with Ecotech warranty. Being these are brand new and under warranty I would be a little leery of that.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brings up another question... so lets say they go with saying we will send parts and you do it yourself. I imagine a pretty simple matter to replace the cases but are they warranty sealed? i.e. you open it warranty void. I have taken apart and fixed a lot of stuff but other than owning a M2 pump and a couple MP40's I have not had to deal with Ecotech warranty. Being these are brand new and under warranty I would be a little leery of that.
Also how do we know the new frames wont crack? ETM should come out and say they identified the problem and solved it by doing X.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Also how do we know the new frames wont crack? ETM should come out and say they identified the problem and solved it by doing X.
First thing I thought of when I saw mine as well as all the others with pictures, why wasn't a rubber grommet or washer used?
If this frame needs to be sucked up this tight and little to no underside support, why not?

Last edited:

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I received a defective XR30 Blue where 1/2 the led's were out, EcoTech was supposed to send me a replacement, 2 weeks went by and they never shipped one out to me. I gave up on them and returned it to BRS and bought a new one from Marine Depot as BRS didn't have any in stock. And this was well before the Virus.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t consumers fault. If ecotech wants to make it right, they need to send out prepaid express labels, have consumers to send them back. Once received and ship a non cracked one out immediately by overnight. Plus, some sort of credit to compensate the time lost and hassle.

you ain’t buying some dollar store stuffs. Except for those who are loaded, but most people spent their hard earned money on this.

I got hyped up even tho I don’t even have one.

if we let them go easy like that, they will think it’s a norm that no matter what we will buy their stuffs. stand up and speak up folks!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These lights are already $840 each. How much more?

If by sending out parts and making us repair the brand new lights is making this right, I'm going to disagree.
I only agree if they send out parts with a store credit or some sort to compensate consumers time lost and hassles.

U

User1

View Badges
Fully
I am trying to keep the vendor out of it. He is a small business and barely able to keep his head above water.
This IMO is a manufacturing issue and should be dealt with ETM.
I've owned ETM products for a decade and have defended them as a stand up business.
I too was a part of the L1 issues a while back and it was handled with class.

The email telling me I had to repair the lights myself wasn't.

Fully understand, and respect, supporting small businesses.

Shoot ETM another email and explain to them that you are not comfortable with doing the repairs on your own. Request direct replacements. If they say no, offer to meet them half way and offer to pay shipping to send back. While not ideal seems like it is a good balance. If they no again, well, if I was you I'd send them back, refund (sorry about the vendor), and buy another lighting source. Plenty to choose from if we are being honest.

Right now I'm seeing a lot of threads with similar issues both here and another I frequent. What I don't know if they are in the small minority or if this is actually a bigger issue. Not everyone is posting good or bad if that makes sense. In either case as you said with the L1 issue they went above and beyond.

Maybe this is all they can do today due to the virus and current world situation. You could also ask that. In either case best of luck.

OP
OP
Hypnotize

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3vi67j.jpg

Joke to cheer you guys up

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Fully

Fully understand, and respect, supporting small businesses.

Shoot ETM another email and explain to them that you are not comfortable with doing the repairs on your own. Request direct replacements. If they say no, offer to meet them half way and offer to pay shipping to send back. While not ideal seems like it is a good balance. If they no again, well, if I was you I'd send them back, refund (sorry about the vendor), and buy another lighting source. Plenty to choose from if we are being honest.

Right now I'm seeing a lot of threads with similar issues both here and another I frequent. What I don't know if they are in the small minority or if this is actually a bigger issue. Not everyone is posting good or bad if that makes sense. In either case as you said with the L1 issue they went above and beyond.

Maybe this is all they can do today due to the virus and current world situation. You could also ask that. In either case best of luck.
I am planning on calling back tomorrow and talking with them.
I was just surprised at the turn around from them talking about sending replacements to having to repair them myself.
If I would have been told this on the phone and explained how to do it without messing something up, I probably wouldn't be talking about the issues now.
Honesty and being up front is everything.
Plus I hear supplies long in coming.
I could very easily do the repairs, but it also worries me if I open the case, does it void any other warranty protections?

They dealt with the L1 issue very well. Sent me 2 replacements.

lmannan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have had to have replacements from Ecotech a few times before. For me they have always been reasonable. Yes it sucks when things go bad and sometimes even good companies have issues even when they work hard to source quality products. Yes their products are expensive but you choose them for a reason. The good thing is they are an amazing company and will make this right as they always do. I would say be reasonable and work with them on a repair that makes yours and their lives easier. You will be happier in the end with less negativity. Good luck everyone with the repairs.

OP
OP
Hypnotize

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have had to have replacements from Ecotech a few times before. For me they have always been reasonable. Yes it sucks when things go bad and sometimes even good companies have issues even when they work hard to source quality products. Yes their products are expensive but you choose them for a reason. The good thing is they are an amazing company and will make this right as they always do. I would say be reasonable and work with them on a repair that makes yours and their lives easier. You will be happier in the end with less negativity. Good luck everyone with the repairs.

I have been using Ecotech products for years but to me something like this widespread should not happen to a company like that. Was there no Beta testing before they decided to ship out units world wide?
And sorry but no I don't think it's reasonable to make the customer repair it diy style via video and all they do it send you the new housing.
A approach like signals that they new what they were doing and tried to get some time to get the new housings in stock. No compensation?

I'm good with corals not with working on electronics ‍

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t consumers fault. If ecotech wants to make it right, they need to send out prepaid express labels, have consumers to send them back. Once received and ship a non cracked one out immediately by overnight. Plus, some sort of credit to compensate the time lost and hassle.

Not sure I saw anyone suggesting it is the consumers fault. Depends, I suppose, on how wide spread the problem is. If it is indeed just a small percentage then a swap-in-transit may make sense; if it’s a significant percentage then I’d guess they’d send out a user replaceable part with some kind of warranty waiver. Significant warranty repair problems can drive a small business to insolvency .... I’ve no desire to see that happen to ETM, particularly while small businesses are suffering significantly ... I’ve too much of their stuff at home to be orphaned. I suppose no matter what they do somebody will get their nose out of joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back