CRASHED and Burned

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife's one indulgence is hiring a lady to come in every other week and clean. This week, she was gone so she had her friend come over and do it. Standing instruction is not to even go in my office because 1) it's a wreck but I know where everything is and 2) the tank is in here. This is what it looked like
20170103_1112311.jpg

and

20161223_1243451-1024x576.jpg

Mushrooms well established, rics, yumas and LPS starting to take off.

Then the new cleaning lady came in - cleaned the floors, the oak wainscoting, all the salt splash off the wall, and must have used a lot of aerosols doing it because when we came home, this is what was waiting for me.

20170122_1424221.jpg

20170122_1503031-e1485119953430.jpg

I went out yesterday and bought a 10 gallon tank and set it up downstairs by the water changing station. Took anything that looked semi alive and rinsed it off really well then put it in the 10 gallon. We'll see what happens with them.

Right now I have carbon in there and tomorrow I'll mix up some more water and start doing water changes (the 2 Talbot's Damsels are still alive and don't want to be caught)

I'm going to use this as an excuse to change things up. I have the same presssboard stand it came with but I have a pile of cherry out in the shop that was bought for another job but the client backed out. I'll make it a bit oversized so there's plenty of room for stuff and may even drill it and put a 20 high fuge behind it because I like watching all the various micro fauna doing their thing in the fuge.

I'll also be making rubble walls for the back 2 corner walls and load those up with zoas and am thinking of doing all gonioporas (with an island of GSP of course)

20170122_1505261-e1485119997738.jpg

So maybe this will act as a resurrection thread and I'll post updates as they happen.

Last edited:

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so sorry!! Keep us posted

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should go hulk hogan on her butt and body slam her through your deck that might teach her not to go in your office again.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this but I love the positive attitude. Sounds like you're going to make lemonade out of this ordeal. Looking forward to see what you come up with, with that gorgeous cherry wood.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SEE!! Sorry for your loss but a lot of people thought me crazy when my kids were spraying windex all over around my tank one morning, and that night almost every coral was slime.

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes!! That is definitely something to keep in mind...

Reminds me of when someone's fiance tried to clean the algae from the glass... with windex and paper towels. [emoji29]

Looking forward to seeing the recovery!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry man!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How devastating!! I would be absolutely livid; I hate when people don't follow specific instructions, especially when animal's lives are at stake.

I really hope everything will turn out even better for you this time around!! Sending positive thoughts your way:)

OP
OP
SteveSTL

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is getting fired - it was a simple mistake. Yes, I was angry but when I calmed down, I saw it was something that could have happened to anyone including me.

I've been through enough in the last 4 months to learn that if you don't make lemonade out of lemons, all you have is a rotting pile of lemons that can't be used for anything. I'll take this as an opportunity to rebuild the tank and make it better than it was. I just wish it had happened before I bough the HOB fuge but maybe I'll put that all the way in the back of the main fuge and just use it for cheato.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unfortunate but man as others mentioned love your positive attitude.
May your tank be better than ever.
You got some positive Karma headed your way.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the immortal words of Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain." Mine wasn't as bad but poor livestock.

It always fascinates me as too what makes it through and how gone something can look and still come back.

Keep us posted with pics of the corals coming back.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back