Crazy Calcium numbers

Wagtribe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am attempting to add Kalkwasser to my 130 g tank but am frustrated seeing Calcium numbers way too high. I have been dosing Kalk for about 3 months, 200mL via my ATO water and Red Sea dosser. I am also dosing:
Red Sea Reef Energy Plus AB+ - 40mL
Tropic Marin All for Reef - 40mL
Red Sea KH/Foundation B - 6.0mL
I do a gallon per day water change, my salt mix is Red Sea Foundation C - 10.5mL Tropic Marin Bio-actif Salt mix.
The Trident is showing my parameters as acceptable with the exception of my Calcium. It is staying constantly over 500 and no matter what I have tried, (adding more KH and water changes) I still see it going up. What am I missing? I am not supplementing any Calcium to my knowledge. My Corals and fish seem fine, and I have just recently recalibrated the Trident. I also check Calcium using Hanna test and got readings between 511 and 518. What am I missing?

Screenshot (24).png

OP
OP
Wagtribe

Wagtribe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above. As I type, my Ca is at 552 and Mg at 1400. It stays high, but so does Mg so there isn't any precip anywhere.
Mag. is the catch...higher KH and Ca are acceptable as long as higher Mg are included? Mag. stop percip.?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag. is the catch...higher KH and Ca are acceptable as long as higher Mg are included? Mag. stop percip.?

I wouldn't push magnesium higher than "normal" for this purpose. It does have that effect, but so do other components of seawater, such as organics and phosphate.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Magnesium binds to the surface of calcium carbonate which helps precipitating out of the water.

My Mag stayed high when I was using AFR. I switched to two part (they should call it four part :)) and can dial it in a bit better now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back