Crazy? Clownfish hatching in a grow out system?

scottedontknow

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2016
Messages
587
Reaction score
386
Location
Easton PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo my question is why can’t I hatch my clowns in a “grow out” system? Why can’t I drill and plumb 2 10gal tanks to a 10-20 gallon sump and hatch them in there? I’m printing a cap for my pvc fitting so no fish can make it through. Im also not talking about pushing hundreds of gallons per hour more like 10ish an hour just to keep everything clean
 
You're going to need to make a really fine mesh in order to keep the rotifers in the tank so that the babies can eat them. This same cover will also clog very easily. You'll need to keep an eye on it to prevent flooding.

I think your best bet is to keep the tanks hooked into the system but closed while the babies hatch and grow for a couple of weeks -- at least past meta -- so that you don't need to worry about the rotifers and the fine mesh. Just remember to put a heater in the tank during this time as well as a bubbler to keep things moving.
 
Ya that’s what I currently do I’m just trying to make it a bit easier
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new